MY POOR 6 month old CAT needs help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celestekianna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Anyone who's went through a similar experience please let me know what you did to stop this .

This all started after his neuter last Monday ! My max was doing great recovering until Tuesday 930pm and that is when he started acute vomiting every hour ! Yes ! Every hour and that day was hearting breaking every time he meowed he gagged but nothing was coming out he probably gagged 20 times that night.. Only the first time he vomited was food and all the other times and was white foam or bile. I took him to the vet the next morning and they checked his X-rays for objects or something unusual, everything was good and gave him a 24hr cerena shot and fluid therapy . He wasn't vomiting but after it started waring off he started licking his lips again indicating nausea. Took him again next day (Thursday) they decided to give him another shot and syringe feed him and gave him fluid therapy because he's also not eating not drinking or passing a BM . Once again shot started wearing off and he actually started vomiting before the shot wore off this time and been vomting every since , now every 2-3 hours instead of 1 . That day they also did his blood work and everything looks good .

I took matter into my own hands yesterday (Friday) and went and bought HomeoPet Digestive Upsets cause I believe he is constipated , he has taken 3 doses but is still acting the same. It's been About 5 days since my poor baby has passed a BM and is vomiting bile 8-10 times a day all because of this neuter and has lost 1pd already! Poor max . I'm considering giving him Miralax 1/2 teaspoon and will stop giving him the other product I got yesterday. I will take back to the vet Monday if this resumes. I just hope anyone can help my max stop vomiting , resume eating and be back to his regular wild self . He just been sleeping 24/7 in ONE spot and his usually up as much as me running every where. I just hope my max can be the same again soon.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is/was he getting any pain meds that could be causing his issues? If he is not eating much, there is not much in him to generate stool. Plus, a lot of pain meds can attribute to constipation - and, to lack of appetite/stomach upset.

Whatever is going on, he likely needs some sub-Q fluids for dehydration, which can exacerbate all of the above.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS although under worrisome circumstances for Max. 🤗 I've never experienced anything like this and have had many male cats neutered. Was Max not feeling well before you brought him in? It does sound like something else might be going on and if he's not better I would think about taking him to an emergency clinic. That way you could also get a second opinion. Maybe other members who have experienced something similar with their cats will come along and be able to give you more advice. Fingers crossed Max has a BM and perks up soon. Please keep us posted on his progress.:alright:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Celestekianna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is/was he getting any pain meds that could be causing his issues? If he is not eating much, there is not much in him to generate stool. Plus, a lot of pain meds can attribute to constipation - and, to lack of appetite/stomach upset.

Whatever is going on, he likely needs some sub-Q fluids for dehydration, which can exacerbate all of the above.
No pain meds doctors says his type of neuter didn't require one . He's been drinking water every time after vomiting now and they gave him for fluids twice for dehydration before he started drinking on his own 2 days ago but still same issue unfortunately

Celestekianna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to TCS although under worrisome circumstances for Max. 🤗 I've never experienced anything like this and have had many male cats neutered. Was Max not feeling well before you brought him in? It does sound like something else might be going on and if he's not better I would think about taking him to an emergency clinic. That way you could also get a second opinion. Maybe other members who have experienced something similar with their cats will come along and be able to give you more advice. Fingers crossed Max has a BM and perks up soon. Please keep us posted on his progress.:alright:
He felt better than ever before going there . Aw my max just had to be the unlucky one..yes I will definitely consider taking him there yes fingered crossed thanks I will .

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry that your Max is doing so poorly. You can try rubbing white Karo syrup or honey on his gums to keep his blood sugar up. Also, try syringing unflavored pedialyte into the side of his mouth, but in miniscule doses - I start with about 1/4 top every 15--20;minutes between doses. If he can keep the tiny doses down, slowly increase the dose size and decrease the intervals. It takes time to see what works best.
Please do NOT give Miralax until Max is able to drink (and keep down) plenty of water. Miralax is an osmotic laxative that absorbs the water in the colon to soften and enlarge the stools; the pressure of the bigger stools triggers the defecation reflex.
Did the vet think that it's possible that Max contracted a virus at the vet hospital? Do they recommend that you administer fluid Sub-Q?
Please keep us updated!

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. You need to get him to an emergency vet. This is serious and life threatening if it’s been going on days. There could be many different things going on. None of them treatable at home.
~ I agree. It sounds like a bowl obstruction or urinary track blockage .

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Again, this may be coincidental to the neutering and not related directly to it. Miralax will not resolve an obstruction or even serious constipation, so don't lose time trying it when Max needs medical care.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Anyone who's went through a similar experience please let me know what you did to stop this .

This all started after his neuter last Monday ! My max was doing great recovering until Tuesday 930pm and that is when he started acute vomiting every hour ! Yes ! Every hour and that day was hearting breaking every time he meowed he gagged but nothing was coming out he probably gagged 20 times that night.. Only the first time he vomited was food and all the other times and was white foam or bile. I took him to the vet the next morning and they checked his X-rays for objects or something unusual, everything was good and gave him a 24hr cerena shot and fluid therapy . He wasn't vomiting but after it started waring off he started licking his lips again indicating nausea. Took him again next day (Thursday) they decided to give him another shot and syringe feed him and gave him fluid therapy because he's also not eating not drinking or passing a BM . Once again shot started wearing off and he actually started vomiting before the shot wore off this time and been vomting every since , now every 2-3 hours instead of 1 . That day they also did his blood work and everything looks good .

I took matter into my own hands yesterday (Friday) and went and bought HomeoPet Digestive Upsets cause I believe he is constipated , he has taken 3 doses but is still acting the same. It's been About 5 days since my poor baby has passed a BM and is vomiting bile 8-10 times a day all because of this neuter and has lost 1pd already! Poor max . I'm considering giving him Miralax 1/2 teaspoon and will stop giving him the other product I got yesterday. I will take back to the vet Monday if this resumes. I just hope anyone can help my max stop vomiting , resume eating and be back to his regular wild self . He just been sleeping 24/7 in ONE spot and his usually up as much as me running every where. I just hope my max can be the same again soon.

Can you get some royal Canin recovery food from the vet? A couple cans and only feed him this for a few meals.

I would also recommend asking the vet for 4-5 cans of some EN prescription food (for upset tummy). Eating something bland can help cats keep things down just like it does for us.

Raise his bowl when he eats, so he's not fully bent over and the acid irritating him which can trigger the vomiting. If you have stairs, setting it up a step from where he is is usually good.

I would stop the homeopet item. You can give a 1/4 tsp of Miralax BUT it must be fully dissolved in water before added to food. As other posters said though, if he isn't keeping food down, there's likely nothing in his stomach to pass. If his poo is hard, the Miralax will help bring water to his colon so he can pass it. It may still be worth a try. I find Miralax takes "overnight" to work. Does his tummy look bloated?

Celestekianna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks all . Unfortunately Max has been put to rest ...today they found a ton of sewing thread in his intestines which caused several holes . They would have needed to cut 90% of his gut and only 50% would have been save to cut . I just feel like this could of been prevented when I went last week, they saw his intestines all bunched up in the X rays today but not Thursday . And would think you would see that much thread in the X-rays, apparently not...I'm very devastated and will never be the same.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks all . Unfortunately Max has been put to rest ...today they found a ton of sewing thread in his intestines which caused several holes . They would have needed to cut 90% of his gut and only 50% would have been save to cut . I just feel like this could of been prevented when I went last week, they saw his intestines all bunched up in the X rays today but not Thursday . And would think you would see that much thread in the X-rays, apparently not...I'm very devastated and will never be the same.
Oh no! I was reading this thread and was assuming I would see that it had resolved on it's own or had been fixed with some kind of medicine. I am so, so sorry you had to experience this. Rest in peace little Max.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ Unfortunately this is very common in veterinarian medicine. Very poor diagnostic skills and very high fees. I have lost several cats the same way – as have many other I know.
I almost abandoned veterinarians completely unless absolutely necessary .
So sorry this happened ... :vibes:💕🍃

brookesvwilson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss :'( I can't even imagine the pain you are feeling. You did everything you could with the information you had at the time, and I hope you don't punish yourself for not being able to help max. You did everything. He's resting peacefully now, playing with little kitties like him in kitty heaven. ❤❤❤❤

Status
Not open for further replies.