My Persian and Himalayan just had kittens!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends how he acts. I would supervise him around them for a few days. Cats are instinctively 'wired' not to harm small kittens. When they do, it is usually not their kittens, but some other toms'. Most 'dads' are fine, just curious, and mom will protect them. Just make sure it doesn't stress mom out too much and that he is not stressed either.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jacqueline710

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It depends how he acts. I would supervise him around them for a few days. Cats are instinctively 'wired' not to harm small kittens. When they do, it is usually not their kittens, but some other toms'. Most 'dads' are fine, just curious, and mom will protect them. Just make sure it doesn't stress mom out too much and that he is not stressed either.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
When is it safe to let the dad around the kittens?
If he and momma are friendly with each other, and momma is OK with him being near, you can prob do it very early; superwised at first of course.
The danger is not he will harm them (he probably wont if he is friend with momma), but he may become afraid, and swipe in selfdefence....

With a little luck he may even do co-parenting.

Nay, the real problems cats arent protected from new pregnancy by nursing. Humans are in some degree, but not cats.
So if its important for you to not let her have new litter now, hold them separated or at least, always superwised.

(ps its unknown toms, whom may wish to take over the revire, whom may be a reell dang)er for kittens; toms whom are friends with momma, or even mated with momma; seldom are