My permenant hair colour is still washing out!!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As a public service, I'd like to offer one word of warning -- well, three words:

DON'T USE HENNA.

For years, I used a permanent haircolor in very light blonde to lighten my medium brown hair to a light auburn. Then I decided to let it grow out. But when I had about two inches of roots showing, a big event came up that I needed to look good for... so I decided to put something temporary on the lightened portion of my hair to tone it back down to the color of my roots.

What to use, what to use... oh! Henna is natural! Henna washes in, washes out... that's perfect! I'll use some brown henna!

It was a disaster. The lightened portion of my hair was so damaged from years and years of coloring that it soaked up that brown henna like a sponge... while the healthy, uncolored roots rejected it almost completely.

What's worse is that, for some reason, the supposedly brown henna went absolutely black on me, and not even "hair black" -- it looked like dry black yarn, not like hair at all.

So there I was with chestnut on top and dead dull black below, preparing to go to a convention to meet over a hundred people who were responsible for keeping me employed. AUGH!!!

I had two days left before the event, and I spent those days in the shower. I washed my hair with everything from Prell shampoo to Cascade dishwashing liquid to Lava handsoap, and that henna never budged. All I succeeded in doing was making my whole scalp burn and itch.

So I went to the convention looking like an old two-tone convertible, brown over black, and in need of some body work as well. ~sigh~

DON'T! USE! HENNA!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

...So there I was with chestnut on top and dead dull black below, preparing to go to a convention to meet over a hundred people who were responsible for keeping me employed. AUGH!!!...
That's harsh! You should have come to me or Trixie23; we'd have fixed you right up.

BTW, don't perm over real henna, either, yikes!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well i guess i cant really give you any good advice here. but i always found just shaving it all off, makes life much better for me.

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

As a public service, I'd like to offer one word of warning -- well, three words:

DON'T USE HENNA.

For years, I used a permanent haircolor in very light blonde to lighten my medium brown hair to a light auburn. Then I decided to let it grow out. But when I had about two inches of roots showing, a big event came up that I needed to look good for... so I decided to put something temporary on the lightened portion of my hair to tone it back down to the color of my roots.

What to use, what to use... oh! Henna is natural! Henna washes in, washes out... that's perfect! I'll use some brown henna!

It was a disaster. The lightened portion of my hair was so damaged from years and years of coloring that it soaked up that brown henna like a sponge... while the healthy, uncolored roots rejected it almost completely.

What's worse is that, for some reason, the supposedly brown henna went absolutely black on me, and not even "hair black" -- it looked like dry black yarn, not like hair at all.

So there I was with chestnut on top and dead dull black below, preparing to go to a convention to meet over a hundred people who were responsible for keeping me employed. AUGH!!!

I had two days left before the event, and I spent those days in the shower. I washed my hair with everything from Prell shampoo to Cascade dishwashing liquid to Lava handsoap, and that henna never budged. All I succeeded in doing was making my whole scalp burn and itch.

So I went to the convention looking like an old two-tone convertible, brown over black, and in need of some body work as well. ~sigh~

DON'T! USE! HENNA!

I nominate you as the TCS hairstylist professional.
Maybe we should start asking you kitty grooming tips! I used a Henna shampoo for a couple of months once, and I didn't know it changed my haircolor until it was too late... because I was starting to get faint roots. Half of my hair is still this awful color... I have naturally blonde hair.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, SW! Wish I'd known you then!

Godiva -- yes, I used those shampoos for awhile myself years ago. I'm a lot more cautious now... I still color my hair myself, but I've gotten good at it.

Of course, now I'm starting to have to deal with grey, so... that's a whole new ballgame! ~sigh~

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

DON'T USE HENNA.

DON'T! USE! HENNA!

See!
Henna is evil. How long did it take you to get back to normal?

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah Henna is bad freakin news! I no longer work in a salon but I always turned away customers that used Henna and Sun-In! Unless they signed a waver and even then I told them the only way to remove Henna and or Sun-In is by growing it out! It is really important to seek a professional if youre unsure about how the haircolor process works... Its more involved then one thinks! You need to know the color wheel, complimentary colors, underlying pigment, chemistry, what level you are at, which level you would like to acheive, is your hair porosity and elasticity shot or in good shape, etc? When I was an apprentice I once asked this girl if she used SUN-IN in her hair (I begged her to be honest) she denied using the product so I proceeded with her highlights... Guess what happend? When Bleach or a highlift color comes in contact with a metallic compound (sun-in or henna) the foils will heat up, the foils expand/explode, leaving bleach spots all over your hair! As a result of dishonesty corrective color is needed (which is expensive)! This also happend to my sister when I colored her hair for prom... She went to have a mystic tan spray and did not cover her hair, I was unaware that the spray got in her hair and was metallic until I colored her hair and it was a bloody mess and sadly the next day was prom. I spent my whole 8 hours of work the next day correcting her haircolor, giving her an up-do and make-up... My boss was pissed but it was worth it. She looked amazing! Anyways all stylists have their own method and techniques! When i color my hair black I usually do the outgrowth (aka roots) with a permanent color and then I pull semi-permanent (refresher) through the cold strand... This is with the Goldwell line... not every hair color line is the same! Lately I have been bad and breaking my rules by pulling permanent all the way through! Final note of advise, when in doubt seek a professional!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Ive never used Henna hair stuff, i dont know much about it anyway, The only henna ive had on my body was a henna tattoo

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

well i guess i cant really give you any good advice here. but i always found just shaving it all off, makes life much better for me.
Here here! Most days I'm ready to do that!!!

Check to see if the black dye has peroxide in it...no wait...that's for reds and blondes. There's another "natural" lightening ingrediant that comes for brown and black dyes. I forget though.

Most dyes will lighten though. I dyed my hair red for years and went perminant a few years ago. The darker reds always turned to some form of strawberry blonde in the end because of the peroxide.

The thing that stinks is trying to revert back to the natural color...I've been working on it for well over a year and I'm still called "red" (despite dying my hair ash brown).

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

I agree Bruce! I've done it before.

My hair is now a reddish blond and I've found that if I have my stylist make up some conditioner with my hair color in it and use that once a week it keeps things nice and bright.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

Here here! Most days I'm ready to do that!!!

Check to see if the black dye has peroxide in it...no wait...that's for reds and blondes. There's another "natural" lightening ingrediant that comes for brown and black dyes. I forget though.

Most dyes will lighten though. I dyed my hair red for years and went perminant a few years ago. The darker reds always turned to some form of strawberry blonde in the end because of the peroxide.

The thing that stinks is trying to revert back to the natural color...I've been working on it for well over a year and I'm still called "red" (despite dying my hair ash brown).
When you are going dark such as a level 1-3 black you don't use a lifting peroxide you use a deposit only developer such as 10 volume that at the most has zero to one level of lift if none at all! The only reason you would use any form of a lift/depost peroxide would be if you were going for grey coverage... Which then you would use 20 volume only, which again has next to no lift 1-2 levels at the most... A lift and deposit effect at best! Honestly haircolor can be a challenge and there is a science behind it ( I always recommend seeing a professional if you are unsure of what you are doing, that is what we are here for)! I never colored my own hair until I understood color theory in and out!