My Outdoor Kitties Suddenly Stopped Using Their Cat House

zoelextuxbub

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 2 outdoor brother and sister kitties that adopted us a few months ago. They have a very warm cat house under out steps and we even installed a kitty cam to check on them at night to see if they are in their house. The female was spayed 3 weeks ago, and the male was neutered 10 days ago. They have been sleeping together in their house every night up until about 5 days ago. Since then we have washed the bedding, tried puting some food inside even though they eat in our mudroom, but the male refuses to go in the cat house now all of a sudden. It's as if he is afraid to go in it now. Could it be from the experience of being in cat carrier to and from the Vet perhaps? He was still using the house the first few days after his neuter. Any suggestions??

jpatootie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a nearly identical situation a few years back. After some research and doing everything you mentioned, I put in an 'escape' door. It seems they sometimes feel cornered/trapped should a possum, another cat, or any animal peek in, so they no longer feel safe. If possible, I'd give that a try. Good luck.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have had to do the same; add an exit door. I made my small, but it did the trick. As time, went by, I was able to cover the 2nd hole up. I also would not leave any food in the cat house. This will only attract other wild life that may decide to take up residence or scare your cats away.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's VERY strongly possible that another critter (kitty, possum, raccoon or other...) smelled the food, came in and ate it, leaving his own new smell behind - - which could then "trump" your two that you got the house for. (And btw - congrats on getting them both fixed!!!!!) Or at least make them nervous - knowing that their safe little house has been briefly occupied by another. I'd clean again - and put food outside in the future. Have you considered a covered feeding station?

Keep us posted - - - -again - congrats on getting them fixed - sounds like they're both well-loved!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zoelextuxbub

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's VERY strongly possible that another critter (kitty, possum, raccoon or other...) smelled the food, came in and ate it, leaving his own new smell behind - - which could then "trump" your two that you got the house for. (And btw - congrats on getting them both fixed!!!!!) Or at least make them nervous - knowing that their safe little house has been briefly occupied by another. I'd clean again - and put food outside in the future. Have you considered a covered feeding station?

Keep us posted - - - -again - congrats on getting them fixed - sounds like they're both well-loved!
Yes, someone else mentioned that possibility of another critter....although it is sort of hidden under the porch and we don't put their food there...they eat in the mudroom which is through the door from those steps. Will have to try rewashing their cozy bedding!

Last edited by a moderator:

zoelextuxbub

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had to do the same; add an exit door. I made my small, but it did the trick. As time, went by, I was able to cover the 2nd hole up. I also would not leave any food in the cat house. This will only attract other wild life that may decide to take up residence or scare your cats away.
it is a plastic covered cat house that we purchased at a Tractor supply store...and they were purrfectly content in there until a few days ago...I hope they decide to return to it when it gets colder! Thanks for your help!

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I thought you mentioned you put food in there once or twice ---although now I see that was just a one time deal that happened after they stopped using it.

I'd disinfect the whole thing again - including the bedding. Have you thought about putting in some straw (not hay)? Bedding (like blankets) can actually freeze - even if it's just getting slightly damp bc your little fur balls are coming in when it's slightly dewy outside, or a little snowy. If that happens - the blankets then actually make them colder! (crazy isn't it?). So is it possible that they've gotten it damp, then the blankets froze, and they realized their little space was actually colder for them? Just a thought! Maybe rewash everything, add some straw, if you have access to electricity add in an animal heated pad - outdoor rated. And if you ever can't feed in your mudroom, add a feeding station a ways away from the cat shelter.

It sounds like they're being SO well loved :)

zoelextuxbub

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So...I figured out who the culprit was....a big black cat who I have only seen around once or twice...I caught him coming out from under the steps today....I have tried washing everything...taking the roof of...instead my cat sits under the steps next to it and wont go inside. Any suggestions how to keep this other cat away?? :(

zoelextuxbub

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
After 2-3 months of sleeping in their outside cat house together my sibling kitties stopped using or going inside the house. I discovered the smell of urine on it, so I scrubbed the house and washed all their bedding. Today I discovered the culprit..a large black cat around their cat house! It's raining and cold, I have tried moving the house, putting catnip and treats inside, taking the roof off...but they act scared to death of their once cozy home. Suggestions on how to keep this other cat away, or get my kitties to use their safe and warm home again?

zoelextuxbub

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

This is the two of them up until a week ago inside their cat house. We had installed a kitty cam to watch them :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you add a second cat house for the interloper? He or she is obviously in need.

Or perhaps the second house will become home to your two existing cats if their original home is usurped.

This would seem the easiest solution.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Getting another shelter is your best option. I had this happen years ago. By getting another shelter it solved the problem. I know it's not ideal and not what you want, but when you are caring for outdoor feral cats, there will always be more showing up. I also would look into doing TNR on this big boy. If you cannot do it yourself, you might ask a rescue group to help you.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
zoelextuxbub zoelextuxbub OK - first - I want your camera! What brand, etc.? Such clear pix! (and such cute kitties!)

I'm 100% in agreement with setting up Sarthur2 Sarthur2 and shadowsrescue shadowsrescue - - you probably don't want to deal with another mouth to feed - but obviously this "new guy" needs a place to sleep. And not sure where you're located - but if the temps are anything like they are here (right now it's 15 degrees with a 'feels like' temp of -4 °F - -wow!) he's desperate to find something warm. And if your guys haven't driven him off yet, they may not - or may not want to. So - at least for right now - - the easiest (and kindest thing - for him AND your two!) is one more shelter. Then everyone's warm - and you're spending fewer nights panicking :)