My other cat is sick after FIP death :( :(

moowithelsie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys, I had an 18-month-old cat pass away from FIP a bit over 2 months ago.  My other cat, Piper, is starting to show symptoms and it's really worrying me.  She's been lethargic for the past several days, and today I noticed her rear end smelled like pee, which means she isn't cleaning herself.  I haven't been seeing her groom and she's starting to look a little unkempt.  She's been losing her appetite but has been drinking way more water than usual.  And I checked her ears and they're starting to get that yellow tinge like my other cat (comet) had when he got sick.  It's SO similar to how my other cat was behaving/symptoms he was having when he got sick.  I'm taking her to the vet very first thing tomorrow morning so I should have some answers tomorrow.  I just need some support and e-hugs.  She's 6ish years old (I don't know her birthday).  I'm so scared.  Towards the end, Comet became paralyzed and lost his sight and his stomach was so bloated and it was so horrifying to see.  I'm so scared this will happen to Piper too.  At least now I know not to delay the inevitable, in the incredibly terrible case of her having FIP.  Send some good vibes to my kitty and hopefully she doesn't have FIP!!!!! 

ruthm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

moowithelsie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you guys!!! Went to the vet and they don't think it's FIP, THANK GOD.  They are suspicious of kidney disease and are running blood tests.  I've noticed that recently she has been CHUGGING water, along with the lack of grooming and general droopiness.  But honestly, even if she has kidney disease, I'll still feel relieved that it's not FIP because at least there are treatments available that can significantly increase her quality/quantity of life.  The whole FIP experience was TRAUMATIC !!  

ruthm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm glad your vet doesn't think it's FIP- please let us know when the bloodwork is done. Piper seems very young for CKD- but I guess it isn't out of the question. Please keep us posted- continuing to send prayers

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moowithelsie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will!  I'll get the results Tuesday- the vet said she seemed stable and it would save me a chunk of money, but to call if she started peeing outside the litterbox or there were any major changes.  And 6 is actually a pretty rough estimate- I got her from a woman on craigslist a few years ago, and I'm pretty sure she rounded down her age....so who knows.  She's had a couple UTIs and an ulcer in her mouth over he past couple years, and has just in general seemed a little sickly.  She is FIV/FeLV negative.