My newborn kitten died, what to do with it?

ramelaramela

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat gave birth 2 days ago. Unfortunately, one of the kittens died this morning out of an unknown reason. I tried moving it away from other kittens but my cat keeps bringing it back behaving as if it’s alive. What should i do? Is this going to affect my cat? Will she be sad if i take it away from her? Please give me some advice🙏🏻

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, you have to take it away, not like letting it rot will help with the grieving process

In the US, in many places you are allowed to bury on your property provided you dig deeply enough. If not, shelters/veterinarians/pet cemeteries will charge a fee. You are also generally allowed to dispose of a small animal in your normal trash, which I guess is the only option if money is very tight and you are unable to bury on your property.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would still bury it somewhere, we have buried many cats killed on the road in a spot in the ditch. They weren't even ours, but I can't stand the idea of them lying there. One tiny kitten buried out in the country somewhere wouldn't hurt anyone. If the cats we buried are close, we leave them there a few days so if they are someone's pet hopefully they will see them, we do move them off the road.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Bury it. Mama will look for it for a bit, then accept that it is gone. And the kitten will add nutrients to the soil as she becomes part of it, enriching the world and living though that.