my new Tasin TS-108 some questions for those of you who have one, please help

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I plan to start feeding my cat colony raw chicken supplemented with cat food so:

1) They say "chilled" not frozen...what does that mean? i.e. cold to the touch?, still in a semi-frozen state but pliable?  what?

2) Also can you refreeze after grinding?

3) Do you really have to cut the chicken into 2" squares as recommended or is there an easier way...this would be a lot of work?

4) What do you do with the bones? i.e. leave grinder on coarse or medium, which one? (I worry about small splinters of bone)

5) Do you have to regrind bone mixture with fine grinding plate?

Sorry for all the questions but the 8 ferals I feed in my colony and I have become very close...don't want to cause them any more problems then they already have just trying to survive.  (all have been "fixed")

Thanks in advance

GTO

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you seen the cat food making page at catinfo.org? Dr. Pierson provides pretty detailed instructions on how to grind meat including the plates to use for grinding bones. She doesn't use the TS-108 anymore but she used to and I don't think her instructions have changed.
I plan to start feeding my cat colony raw chicken supplemented with cat food so:

1) They say "chilled" not frozen...what does that mean? i.e. cold to the touch?, still in a semi-frozen state but pliable?  what?
I'm not sure without the content but they are probably just saying the meat shouldn't be frozen rock hard. Icy is fine.
2) Also can you refreeze after grinding?
Yes.
3) Do you really have to cut the chicken into 2" squares as recommended or is there an easier way...this would be a lot of work?
The pieces have to fit into the grinding tube. I cut so that the pieces are about 2" in one direction so they'll fit in the tube but they are frequently longer. I've never had any problem with doing it that way. 
4) What do you do with the bones? i.e. leave grinder on coarse or medium, which one? (I worry about small splinters of bone)

5) Do you have to regrind bone mixture with fine grinding plate?
I don't grind bones so I'll just have to refer you to Dr. P's web page for those questions.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
thanks...read the article..it was very helpful

ground the first load of chicken legs/thighs...went great..cleanup was nasty but still easier than boiling/deboning and storing

appreciate the help

the old barn cat colony thanks you as well

GTO

carmina piranha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It looks like you got things figured out, but I don't know if you ground coarsely and then reground, or what.  We just put the fine plate on our Tasin, and it it grinds the bones with no problem.  Our chicken leg quarters either look like they are from normal-sized chickens, and Tasie gobbles them up easily, or they are from monster chickens, and the grinder does labor over the drumsticks.  

FYI, it grinds the bone so finely that it just feels like there's some sand in the mix--I touched it so no one else has to!  :p

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I used the medium grade for the chicken quarters, did not reground...some of the bone slowed it down a bit but worked great.  No bone fragments.  The cat colony loved it...eat it like steak...not a drop left!

Thanks for the info

GTO

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
see...this site really saves time and money as well as good info

excellant recomendation onthe grinder

thanks again to all

GTO