My New Kitten Is Making Me Crazy

petra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a problem. We recently received a new kitten, and she is about 7 weeks old. Scout's the cutest thing in the world, and I love her to bits. However, I have a problem. (Well, two.)

The first is: Because we have another cat, the vet recommended that she sleep in my room for the first two weeks. That's fine and all, she keeps me awake every night playing which I can deal with, but what I can't deal with is the incessant licking after I fall asleep. what she does is she crawls up on to my pillow, and alternately licks and gnaws at my face. Is there a reason for this? How can I get her to stop? I have classes every morning and getting two hours of sleep is getting tiring, now.

The second problem is our older cat Astro. He's about 2 years old now, and he's taken surprisingly well to the new kitten. The second day she was there he showed her the ropes around the house and now is sort of a poppa cat. The problem is, he's one of those cats that if you were to describe him as human, he'd be "cynical, sarcastic, and rude". He plays with the kitten but sometimes plays too rough and hurts her, and now his aggressiveness is rubbing off onto Scout.
How do I get him to be less mean when they're playing and her to tone down on the aggressiveness. I was my sweet kitten back; not this new one who bites all the time.

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To get her to quick waking you and playing at night, I would reccommend some heavy, interactive playing with her, just before bedtime. Play with her as long as you can, until she is pooped! Then, she'll be tired, and go to sleep at night.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi

If she is only 7 weeks old, she should still be with mum and siblings, so she may be treating you as mum, and trying to suckle for comfort. Maybe give her a soft toy or blanket as a comforter and she will suckle on that rather than you? dont know about your other problem, sorry.

leesali

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He plays with the kitten but sometimes plays too rough and hurts her, and now his aggressiveness is rubbing off onto Scout.
How do I get him to be less mean when they're playing and her to tone down on the aggressiveness.

I too, have a 2-year old that used to play too rough with one of my 15-wk. old kittens, Bob. When the kitten was younger, my 2-year old adult would play so hard, that little Bob would cry.

My adult would bite, swat and pin little Bob down. I would say "no" in a loud serious tone and my adult "got it". I have posted on this forum and have spoken with my vet. and the conclusion is that if an adult cat really wanted to hurt a kitten, it would have done so already. Besides playing, they are also establishing "status" in your house...even at this young age.