My new foster is a feral kitten - I need support please!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lyzzie

La Folle Aux Chats
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bien sur! For some reason, though you said she was female I was thinking he was male. Comment dites-vous en français "duh!"?
You almost got it, "duh!" would be "Mais bien sur!"

Lyzzie

La Folle Aux Chats
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Updates again!

I went for a long hour walk with Sparrow yesterday, he just couldn't take all the kitten-ness anymore. He keeps asking to go outside, way more than usual, so I talked to my mom, and to the rescue about it. We agreed that something needed to be done, so Boo & Tessa are going to their new home tomorrow. I'm going to miss these guys so much! But they are ready, and Sparrow really need to breathe for a while. I think Shadow came here too soon after Tessa, and he's just overwhelmed. But he's still not aggressive with any of them, which is great. I don't want to push him to his limits though.

Shadow is now playing with Boo, which give some relief to Tessa. Poor baby, he's exhausting her! Today, she was able to sleep A LOT

I will also catify as soon as I get my next paycheck. We selected the shelves we want already, we know how much it's going to cost, and my neighbor is going to put them up for us. They are wide enough for cats, and each can support up to 15 Kg, more if we put (squares? I can't find how it's called!!) below the shelves to support them. It's going to be neat, I've wanted to do that since August. I think Sparrow is going to love that, he will have new safe spots to get away from the kitties!

On a different matter, I'm getting a little worried again about injection sites related sarcomas, I've made a thread here, if someone is interested :
[thread="329756"]Vet Recommendations About Injection Sites Related Reactions Intra Muscular Injections Thoughts  [/thread]

Lyzzie

La Folle Aux Chats
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Today was eventful to say the least. When I left for work this morning, every one was OK. When I came back, and picked up Tessa to put her in her carrier, I immediately saw that something was wrong with her left eye. It looked cloudy, like there was a veil on it. I asked John if she sneezed, or coughed, but he said no. I checked on Boo, Shadow and Sparrow, and they were good.

We went to the vet immediately, thanks to the rescue we were squeezed between two appointments. She was diagnosed with uveitis. The vet thinks that she probably either bumped her head or got struck while playing. There's nothing in her eye, and it's not scratched either. He didn't rule out viral infection completely, so my mom is going to have to keep en eye on her, and see how it evolves. She has to put drops in Tessa's eye two times a day, and got a follow-up appointment on Monday.

When we dropped the cats of at my mom's, Boo was the first to get out of his carrier in the safe room, but went and hide under the couch. Tessa, on the other hand, stayed in her carrier.

After leaving them alone for a while, we went back, and they hadn't moved. So I took Tessa out of her carrier, petted her for a little bit, and gave her to my mom. She immediately started purring (Tessa, not my mom
), and relaxed. She even ate a treat in my mom's hand. Boo didn't want to come out. We tried to play, giving him a treat, he didn't move a muscle. I tried slow blinking, but he didn't respond. This turn of event was surprising for me, I thought it would be the other way around.

My mom knows the do's and don'ts, I'm not worried. Their safe room is large enough for them to be comfy without being too big either, they have water, food, toys, two big litter boxes, a big cat tree, and wall shelves. This room is actually the TV/ PC room, and my mom spends lots of time in there normally, so she will be able to be with them a lot.

Without the 2 kittens, it's so quiet here, it's weird. But Sparrow is way more relaxed, and we now have time to give to Shadow too. She follows me everywhere, and actually jumped inside my pants when I went to the bathroom earlier. She's a funny one!

Lyzzie

La Folle Aux Chats
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update!

Tessa's eye was completely fine on Monday, the vet gave the OK to stop the drops.

Boo & Tessa are adapting quickly to their new home, they can now explore the dinning room and the kitchen. The hallway, the two bedrooms, the bathroom and the toilets are still off limit.

Boo is going to get neutered soon, and after him Tessa, once she put on some more weight.

That's it for now!