My new foster cat - could she be a Norwegian Forest cat?

taiairam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In the Sierra Foothills, near Sacramento CA
Hi all, 

I have worked in rescue for a long time and know very little about cats that are bred on purpose.  So, when I brought Prani home, I just thought she was kind of nor pretty lol bc her eyes look so weird and her face and nose are so different than my lionene DSH (who I lost to kidney failure Aug 5 - RIP T'ai)

Anywho, the next odd-thing was her coat.  She is short-haired but had mats and after examining her, she seemed to have a double coat.  This was confirmed by a groomer who combed out her mats.  Now, she has silky hair, an even silkier stripe that runs down her back and tail and this fuzzy gray soft down under her top coat - which is marked like a tabby.  Oh, and it appears to be water proof!

The vet noted that her body is VERY long and her face is just weird looking!  Her eyes are situated lower on her head and they are smallish.  Her nose has a slight bump to it, like a GSD.  

Her behavior is also odd but in a good way.  She is so chill.  She just moved into my house and started sleeping with me and my dogs like she'd always lived here!  She is mellow, affectionate, a tiny bit playful (but she has a UTI so she may not feel great)  She also loves water and jumps into the sink and tub and waits for me to turn on the spigot.

Very picky eater and unfortunately, only really wants to eat fish wet food - which I have read is bad for cats!  I did not know this and it is bumming me out.  The only way she will eat any other flavor is if I sprinkle fish flakes on it - which defeats the purpose except it is a higher quality fish than what is found in canned food.

Ok, here are her pictures:

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Nay, there is no  Norwegian here, At least, no near AncestryAncestry.  In fact, I dont get any vibes on any especial breed here...  Tabby with white, or if you so wish, tabby tuxedo.  I dont see the side properly, so I cant say which tabby sort it is.  Possibly the classical uls eye tabby

Fish isnt that bad, but you must be sure she get extra E-vitamine

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

taiairam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In the Sierra Foothills, near Sacramento CA
Thanks Stefan.  So, what can you tell me about the double coat?  I have never met or seen a domestic short hair with a double coat.  Is this just an uncommon trait?  How does one deal with a double coat?  I do not want her to get matted up again but I am also not used to brushing a cat more than a few times a year with a wire brush.

Thanks!

Peace, maria B