My New Cat Keeps Chasing My Resident Cat :(

vada50

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi

It took a while but finally I feel safe enough to have my two cats without a barrier between them. I had the opportunity when my NC (1 year Maine coon no yet neuter) was in the floor relaxing and my RC (female spayed) wanted to go in the room. I more or less grab her so she didn't enter too fast and could see that there was the other cat.

My RC didn't hiss just stare from a distance and look at him with normal ears and she sit down ( I was so happy she was ok), my NC just stare at her then Ignore her a bit and then he decided she wanted to meet her he stand up and went to her. But she hiss and he didn't stop and keep going :( whyyyy. Then she run away and he chased her all the way down. She seems to hyperactive about meeting instead of being a bit more careful with her. I don't understand why. I introduce first, my dog that is a Yorkshire that has a very hyperactive but nice character. I grab the dog so he doesn't run to my NC and my new cat was happy to meet him and was very careful and wasn't so forward like with my RC :(. Every time my NC and my dog meet they smell each other and some times my dog run but the cat doesn't chase him. What should I do???

Should I grab my new cat and hope my RC come closer to me??

Please help!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vada50

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please someone help me :(

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
When are you planning to get NC fixed? That should reduce his bullying tendencies.

What I recommend for these meetings is to drag a fishing-pole type toy around for both cats to chase. This should help release some pent-up energy and direct it to a positive outlet (chasing the toy, instead of each other). You can also feed both cats before these meetings, so that they feel full (and a little lazy), which should reduce any hyperactivity as well as having both cats associate each other with something good (food!). You could also use Feliway, in either a spray or diffuser to calm both cats down a little bit. :winkcat:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It just takes a lot of time for everything to settle down, mine took almost a year! Your new cat is being dominant and more aggressive than your resident cat likes, but eventually she won't run and everything will settle down, just make sure she has somewhere to go and defend herself. I would get him neutered ASAP, the initial surgery will slow him down a little (not for long!) and the hormones stay in their system for quite a while. This is all normal behavior for male/female relationships, females don't put up with the males attitudes, but eventually she will rule the roost. Your dog is not afraid of the new cat, and the cat is somewhat leery of the dog, so behaves himself. He feels more at home with your female and wants to play, wrestle, chase, but she doesn't think that is fun and is afraid of his aggressiveness. As long as she has a place to defend herself from, my Chrissy's place was a bed on top of the fridge, everything will work out. Chrissy finally stood her ground and hissed and growled, and the male's attitudes changed fast, but you have to give them lots of time to develop their confidence. Keep us posted! PS in the meantime scroll through and read some of the older posts, there is a lot of good advise out there!

vada50

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much for your comments!
I will try to play with him before the meetings. The good thing is that she still eats beside the door when he is eating too.
My female hissing, growling and even trying to scratch him doesn't seem to make the male understand. But is good that he is not doing any aggressive behaviour like the female or I will be very worried. I will try all tonight and will let you guys know

vada50

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I couldn't do anything today because my female was too stress out and didn't want to go near the door to eat this time. She eat a bit and then run away I decide not to push her because when I picked her up after she run away, she make a very weird sound, is like a chirping to attract birds. I think she was crying and begging me not to bring her there. I think is really that because she only do that kind of sound when she knows I am bringing her near Mareddad, is really a sound to break your heart. I hope tomorrow is better.

Ahh I forgot the Maine coon was supposed to be neuter before coming to me by the cattery but the person got "sick" that's what she told me or I don't know what because she didn't neuter him. I have his papers and the cattery and him are register in WCF but anyway I can't neuter him now because I don't have anyone to look after him and I can't ask for days any days off :(. I will neuter him when I have the time to be with him and can take care of him properly after the procedure