My New Cat Is Sick

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He still loves you, he just doesn't feel good right now, but I know that he still loves you, just keep doing what you are doing. Once he gets better you will see.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OH MY GOOOOSSSSH! okay the first night of the torture sessions he wouldnt even sleep in bed with me that night or let me touch him much, after the next mornings session (yesterday) he was really depressed all day and would leave away from me if i even sat near him.
but last night, a couple hours after the evening session, he was all cuddly !!!
i was so happy i almost cried and he didnt just lay beside me but he lay down ON me and gave me kitty kisses on my nose
and slept in my bed.

i just could not believe it. we havnt gone thru the morning session yet today...i hope everything is okay after.....

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

Every kitty is different....some may be a food treat after treatment, some soothing music, or complete silence in a snuggly safety zone....ears are sensitive, think what you would like after wards.......
That is so true. I tried every treat on Beandip, to console him after I pill him. It's a daily thing so I really had to make it work. He refused his favorite things and seemed to hate me, hiding all the time 'cause of the pills. I finally figured out what works for him is....belly rubs!! Now, I pill him and he takes just a few steps, falls over, rolls on his back and waits for his 'treat'. It's great to find that thing that works!

Originally Posted by jaycee

OH MY GOOOOSSSSH! okay the first night of the torture sessions he wouldnt even sleep in bed with me that night or let me touch him much, after the next mornings session (yesterday) he was really depressed all day and would leave away from me if i even sat near him.
but last night, a couple hours after the evening session, he was all cuddly !!!
i was so happy i almost cried and he didnt just lay beside me but he lay down ON me and gave me kitty kisses on my nose
and slept in my bed.

i just could not believe it. we havnt gone thru the morning session yet today...i hope everything is okay after.....
Well that's great news!!

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
oh everyone i am just so happy

its been about an hour and a half since the morning session and hes being all cuddly, hes sitting on me begging for pets right now!!

i think he realizes that im not a meany head

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
oh my gosh what a pain in my butt the vet people are. i called all creatures animal hospital this morning and told them what happened that i left the clavamox out overnight and they said i need to get a new bottle, then i checked with a real pharmacist and he said i need to get a new bottle. then i was worried all day and calling the vets all day cause all creatures said they would fax the prescriptions to olympic animal hospital within the hour (that was around 9 am i think) but then they wound up waiting all day for the dr to sign off on it??? lol that takes 2 seconds to do. so they didnt even fax it until 5 pm.
and then when i got to olympic one of the girls said they cant fill it because they havnt personally examined kevin and i was like.... well i called this morning and they told me they would fill it and she was a real jerk but we got it all straightened out and now he has his medicine again (tablets) and also a new tube of the eye stuff.
and it turns out, according to the people at olympic, i didnt need new clavamox anyway cause it can be left out for 48 hours!!!!!

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
he seems to be better. his eyes are more open and not as teary. he isnt sneezing out gobs of snot and blood anymore. he still sneezes some though. and he coughs now, not sure what that means. his ears look a lot better too, cant wait until the ear mite treatment is over, its getting harder to hold him still for it, even wrapped in a towel. hopefully the results of the herpes test will be in tomorrow. if thats negative (and i think it will be) we ll just keep giving him the clavamox until the uri is gone

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i called the vet this morning, the preliminary results for the herpes test are negative. we will know for sure either late tomorrow night or the next day.

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
it turns out the test was for something else, not herpes, dont know why the vet initially said it was a test for herpes. anyway the test came back positive for some kind of bacteria thats really hard to kill so they are adding a 2nd antibiotic, erythromycin.

they do think he probably has herpes. actually i just found out that at least 80% of the cat population is at least a carrier of cat herpes. so he just needs L-lysine supplement and that suppresses it.

so 14 more days of meds and he should be just fine.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jaycee

they do think he probably has herpes. actually i just found out that at least 80% of the cat population is at least a carrier of cat herpes. so he just needs L-lysine supplement and that suppresses it.

so 14 more days of meds and he should be just fine.
Pixel has herpes - i add L-lysine to their drinking water, 1000 mg per 16 ounces. i use the human L-lysine caps & just mix the powder into their water. since she won't eat canned food, this is the best option for me for a maintenance does for her. & it doesn't hurt the others, either.