My new cat is not coming out of hiding, and hissing.

iwilltakethem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is a very simple problem that if yu go about it the wrong way can seriously effect the cats behavior for the rest of time. This cat was very very connected to her human almost to the point of not trusting anything or anyone with out his presence. Honestly what I think you should do is spend time in her line of vision. Do normal things, eat, read, play on a tablet. I would even talk to her so she gets used to your sound. Use a string and play with her as long as yu dont use it to draw her out and grab her. anything you would normally do while staying in one spot. dont approach her excitedly. She's needs a connection to a human again and it might need to be your man considering it was a man the cat was connected with before.
The whole concept is for the cat to form a connection, good feelings with you all. There was a cat that I had before that I had literally sit in the closet with. Eat with him, talk to him for three days until he got comfortable enough to come out. And he followed me from room to room until I got him his forever family.

iwilltakethem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All of this hissing, and crying and stuff is dialogue to a cat. Its expressing discomfort but yu also have to give her boundaries too like I'm not going away just cause yu hiss. Dont keep pushing her after that but stay around as if to say I'm going to be with you through this and you can trust me not to hurt you. Cause right now everything is upside down and yu need to be a constant, unyielding source of calm.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As longs as she's eating, drinking, and using her box normally, I wouldn't worry too much.  She's had two major life changes at one time -- losing her beloved caregiver's presence and losing her familiar home -- so it may just take a longer time for her to acclimate.  This happened with our Elvis, too.  I adopted him in August.  He'd lived his whole life with his beloved dad.  When he came to join us, he basically lived under the bed in "his" room for several weeks before venturing out cautiously and slowly.  Now, he owns the place.  

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Salemommy

As every one has noted, adjustments to a new place can take time domes a lot of time.

I just adopted a kitty who also appears to find the transition a challenge; everyone's shared experiences were helpful to me, too.

Let us know how Salem does!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you again for the advice! I will definitely keep you posted :-)
Oh goodness, PLEASE take that down.

Your stove top is just below that area. If god forbid you had a fire, that pile of blankets and the pet bed would act as a conductor for the fire to spread. Let alone, what if the cat is inside?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

salemsmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
WOW.  Didn't look closely enough.  Yes, absolutely, she needs to be moved RIGHT AWAY.  And her bedding, too, of course.  
The cat is NOT up there. My apologies for not making this clear. This was set up as a way for her to check out the house while in a position up and away. We do not leave our stove top unattended, and due to the fact that we have pets... It's locked while not in use.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

salemsmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello friends! A small update. Kitty is still hiding, but I was able to get her out to play! I'm very excited. However she is still hiding after 2 weeks. I feel like it may be time to make some changes... I'm just not sure what.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Play with interactive wand toys, and rewards with treats, are two excellent ways to bring a cat out and reinforce confidence!  Jackson Galaxy, "MY CAT FROM HELL" cat behaviorist and "CAT DADDY", encourages these methods of making cats feel more at home. 

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello friends! A small update. Kitty is still hiding, but I was able to get her out to play! I'm very excited. However she is still hiding after 2 weeks. I feel like it may be time to make some changes... I'm just not sure what.
Good news!

Two weeks isn't that long, though I know it seems that way!

I have a new kitty that I've had for about 5 months, and only a couple days ago did he finally decide to sit with me and the other kitties, without being forcibly dragged from his hiding place.

Keep us apprized.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with others that 2 weeks still isn't too long.

Our 2nd cat hid under our guest room bed for a full month.  Each day, I'd go in there several times to obviously feed her and clean the box but would also get on the floor and talk calmly to her.  She hissed the entire time at me lol.  But I knew she was afraid, not angry.  Each day I'd try to entice her with treats, and little by little she got the confidence to come closer to be out from under.  Although not recommended by many, I'd then slide her out for snuggles because I knew she needed to also learn human contact was good (she was a rescue so we really didn't know her full background).

After just about a month, I came in one day and she didn't run back under the bed.  I was elated!  I left the bedroom door open so that she could come out when she felt ready.  An hour or so later she emerged down the stairs, with much trepidation but, she braved the move LOL.  

After that, it got much better day by day although she did kind of confine herself to our dining area, but that was fine since it was out in the open. She turned out to be an amazingly loving and gentle kitty once fully settled in, who loves being groomed and hugged. Even belly rubs are good by her!  She was just frightened. Having patience is necessary and I understand it can really be upsetting (she still didn't warm up totally to my partner for many months) but eventually they all come around as long as they weren't feral.  

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats vary all over the place.

I've had at least one newbie own the place in a week or less.

Most take much longer. My limited experience suggests a month or so to come out of "Newbie Hiding." If you don't have any other animals or people in the house, they seem to come out a bit sooner.

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just thinking of you last night and wondering how things are going. I think you've made good progress in getting her to come out to play! I know it probably doesn't seem like things are progressing but they are...just at a slow pace. Playing will help give her confidence so keep up the play sessions!
Have you tried a Feliway diffuser in the room she is in? Might be a thought, if you've not tried it.
As tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 mentioned, cat behaviorist Jackson Galaxy is a great resource. He has all kinds of videos on YouTube and a website:

http://jacksongalaxy.com/blog/2014/06/02/cat-mojo-fraidy-cats

And of course his Animal Planet show "My Cat From Hell". I've learned SO much from those shows that I was able to apply to caring for and enriching my cat's life.

kim23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted a cat in late October 2016. Susie is 5 years old and her owner died. She spent 3 months in a cage, located at a local shelter, when we found her. She hissed and hid for a month. She also stopped eating for 15 days. We had vet intervention during that time and she has completely recovered. Today she is still reserved with us, however, I play with her everyday and she lets me brush her. She greets me in the morning rubbing up against my legs and lets me pet her. I never pick her up because she doesn't like that. While Susie in not a lap cat, I feel she has made good progress and I love it when she plays in the house by running and jumping. 

I believe your cat will do the same with time. I also think Susie will continue to improve and may someday come sit with me on the couch.  Good luck and stay positive.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor little lady.  She's in a new place with all new people.  I would be nervous, too.  Plus, you said your grandfather got sick.  Maybe she was stressed and worried about him even before coming to live with you.  She'll come around.  Maybe if your grandfather is up to it, you could bring him to your house to see her.  That might go a long way toward reassuring her.  I think you're doing a great job with her.  It's good that you're more concerned than annoyed.  Some people would be really irritated and get impatient, which would just make things worse.  So, you have the right attitude, and that's the most important part.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww!  That is a HUGE step!  Cats are instinctively protective of their bellies so for her to let you give her belly rubs is amazing.  Congrats!!!