My New Cat Doesn’t Want To Be Here?

User1189

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We adopted this adult cat last week. We thought she would’ve gotten used to us and come out of her shell by now, but she is still hiding. She spends most of her time hiding under the couch. When we try to pick her up or pet her she runs away. The staff at the shelter said she loves attention, so what’s wrong? We were told her previous owner passed away, so maybe she’s just stressed. But they also said she hates noise and kids, and we are a loud family. Should we keep her or send her to the shelter so she can find a home the suits her? Will she get used to us?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats take a few weeks or longer to settle into their new home. Just give your cat time and let her settle in at her own pace. Don't rush the process.

I suggest putting the cat into one room for now so she can settle in. Having too much new space can be overwhelming for a cat. Do you have a spare quiet room you can cat-proof and put the cat and litter box and food and water bowls into? Have one person visit a few times daily to refill the bowls, clean the litter box, and try to engage the cat with some toys. Sometimes a cat prefers to bond with one person first and then slowly bond with others in the family. Make it clear to the family that the new cat needs time to adjust and it would help if they can be more quiet especially around the cat.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Excellent advice from LTS3 LTS3 !

It takes time for cats to settle in; some more than others. I agree with giving her a room of her own if you can; for now. She's in a new place full of new people, sounds, smells..everything! I would give her a few special places to hide; such as a box on it's side with a blanket or towel over it so it feels really cave-like.

Spend time with her by sitting in the room and talking to her in a calm, comforting voice. You can even just read out loud. It can help to avoid wearing shoes in there because that noise can make your footsteps seem loud or heavy. Let her come to you. Offer your fingers to smell or some treats. Don't rush it. As she starts getting comfortable; bring a wand type toy to see if she wants to play. Do you have a cat tree? She might also feel more confident if she has options where she can look down on her new family and observe them.

I would avoid picking her up unless it's absolutely necessary right now. Let her determine when she is ready for real pets. Stressing her will make it take longer.

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We adopted this adult cat last week. We thought she would’ve gotten used to us and come out of her shell by now, but she is still hiding. She spends most of her time hiding under the couch. When we try to pick her up or pet her she runs away. The staff at the shelter said she loves attention, so what’s wrong? We were told her previous owner passed away, so maybe she’s just stressed. But they also said she hates noise and kids, and we are a loud family. Should we keep her or send her to the shelter so she can find a home the suits her? Will she get used to us?
It took my cat about 2 months to settle in one room. Let her go at her own pace and she will be fine. It does get frustrating.