My new cat chases my old cat :(

lolarox86

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted two weeks ago, the kitty is a ragdoll, has been fixed and she is two. I have had my pixiebob since she was a kitten, she has been the only cat for two years. She is also fixed. Anyway, I brought Bella home two weeks ago and put her in her own room. after a few days brought her out and would leave her in her crate in the livingroom so Sam could smell her. I eventually took her out and they were fine. Sam growled a bit but they both went about their business. These past couple of days Bella (new cat) has been chasing Sam (old cat), which has resulted in Samus being grumpy and not wanting to play and hiding under the bed. I think Bella might want to play but since sam has been an "only child" her entire life she doesn't feel comfortable with Bella chasing her or stalking her. I don't know how to make them get a long. I don't want to get rid of Bella but I don't want Sam to be bullied by her either. What can I do?

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There is no way you can "make" them get along.  You have to convince them that it is their idea.  Try some supervised play with them, rolling a ball, using a wand toy, laser pointer, and such things. Get them to realize that the other cat can be a snuggle buddy.  Also, they are sorting out who is the alpha cat.  Keep their nails trimmed, and if Sam objects too much to Bella, give her a safe place to go.  How do they compare in weight and size?  If Bella gets too rowdy, Sam probably will swat her.

kathy523

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Give them time; they should get used to each other. We had Munchkin for about a year before we decided to get her a playmate. It has helped sometimes; hurt a little. Munchkin was abandoned under our deck when she was 4 weeks old. She was sick and has been really timid ever since. We believe Munchkin's brain was underdeveloped. She didn't drink water, clean herself, or even play. Getting Cuddles changed all that. They are about the same age. Next time, I will not put two females together; domination issues continue. We have had the two of them for about 5 years now. The cats are learning from each other, but Munchkin is still afraid of everything (including Cuddles). Cuddles likes attention. When anyone goes by her, she will tap them with her paw. Munchkin does not realize this is a cry for attention and runs away. They hiss at each other at times. They do chase each other around the house as well. At first, I thought it was Cuddles instigating everything, but I have seen Munchkin ready to pounce and start things; they do play. Starting just this year, they are finally laying on the futon at the same time. It is a nice sight. I do make sure I give equal attention, as I do not want one to resent the other for being favored. Playing with them together is a good idea. I now have mine swatting things back and forth with me in the middle. Good luck with your kitties :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lolarox86

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There is no way you can "make" them get along.  You have to convince them that it is their idea.  Try some supervised play with them, rolling a ball, using a wand toy, laser pointer, and such things. Get them to realize that the other cat can be a snuggle buddy.  Also, they are sorting out who is the alpha cat.  Keep their nails trimmed, and if Sam objects too much to Bella, give her a safe place to go.  How do they compare in weight and size?  If Bella gets too rowdy, Sam probably will swat her.
Sam is bigger, she is a bit overweight but Bella is actively chasing and stalking her. Sam has her safe place to go to but she is staying there too long and not eating or playing as much anymore.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you thought about separating them and then re-introducing them?  Probably you won't have to, but keep it in mind. Keep monitoring how Sam is acting and if it gets too bad, separate and reintroduce.  My ladies have been brought into the clan at different times, Sugar and Spice last.  They all squabble at times, and Sugar and Sheba both want to be Alpha cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lolarox86

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What happens after they settle who the Alpha cat is? and does this mean that they will hurt each other bad trying to sort that out? Thank you so much for your response!

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What happens after they settle who the Alpha cat is? and does this mean that they will hurt each other bad trying to sort that out? Thank you so much for your response!
They will always squabble some, but unless the size of one changes, they should be happy in the roles they have decided.  No, they won't hurt each other bad trying to sort it out.  Mostly, bad cat language at each other, some swats and maybe a few minor thumpings. If you keep their nails trimmed, there shouldn't be any serious damage to either one.