my new baby can't seem to retract claws...

wispyrustle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, I'm new here and trying to figure out my new kitten
He's only 9 weeks old, but I'm not sure if he should know how to retract nails yet...? Is there some way that I need to teach him or will he figure it out on his own? Also, I really need to start working with him so he'll let me trim them, his hind paws have claws quite long!

TIA!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens can't retract their claws very well, plus they don't really seem to know they should. You'll have a few weeks of that. And yes, do work on trimming. Right now is perfect since your kitten is likely to snag those claws in things.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah, they're a bit uncoordinated and have a hard time figuring it all out at this age. They'll eventually learn, but until then, work on keeping the nails trimmed and it should help.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yep, nail trimming helps very much. I am covered in little kitten scratches thanks to my fosters.
Absolutely normal kitten behavior and yes, as your baby grows, he will learn to keep him claws retracted.

elayman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by wispyrustle

Hi all, I'm new here and trying to figure out my new kitten
He's only 9 weeks old, but I'm not sure if he should know how to retract nails yet...? Is there some way that I need to teach him or will he figure it out on his own? Also, I really need to start working with him so he'll let me trim them, his hind paws have claws quite long!

TIA!
It will happen naturally, but takes a few months. His paws will grow as he does and eventually cover the claws to the point they will be big enough to have room to retract.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wispyrustle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good to know that the claws have to grow more, I couldn't even see how he could retract those nails! I'm working on the nail trimming, I have to wait for the perfect moment and have treats on hand, it sure is a delicate process :p