my neutered male cat wants to mate...

sheheartstokyo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello- im new to this forum and i am hoping someone can help me out.
i've searched all over the web but couldn't find a straight answer.
my male cat is 8-9 months. i recently got him from a friend who said he was neutered.
i also have a female indoor cat who is not fixed. she is in heat and my male cat usually does not presue her. he does not act like a male in heat usually does. yet, every now and then he jumps on her and gets in mating position. is it possible that a nuetered male would still want to mate?
any information or help would be appreciated.

thanks in advance!

javern

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
yah I've seen this in my male, i think a bit of that instinct can remain in a cat eventhough he has been fixed. My female has been fixed but now n then my male 'strikes the pose' Kinda funny because when it happens they both just sorta stand there and look at me like...what do we do next?

kathryn41

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cats will also use that method to exert dominance over another cat. Your male cat may just be telling your female cat that 'Hey, I'm the boss". If your female cat is in heat and your male cat wasn't neutered, you would have no questions left about whether or not he is still intact. He wouldn't just adopt the posture every now and then, he would be actively mating with her. I would suggest, though, that you have your female cat spayed both for her physical health and for everyone else's mental health!

Kathryn

grapegal45

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have 3 neutered males and they all do that. I used to worry in the beginning but I think it's pretty common.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ox my senior male who has been neutered for 12 twelve yrs now used to do that one in a while. It must be a strong instinct!

tissa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have 2 male cats. Both are fixed. But one of them used to always jump and try to hump the other when the other was a young kitten. So go figure