My neighbour's cat is pregnant

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Honestly, it sounds like the girl who "owns" them does not need another kitten. And none of them need to be rehomed until they are spayed and neutered, including Molly.

The fact that she did not keep Molly inside to have her kittens, and has done nothing about her other cats, does not bode well. Since she is a minor, perhaps you should speak with her parents instead. She needs to spay/neuter the cats she already has.

Molly probably needs an extra pouch of wet food while she's nursing. I'm glad the kittens seem healthy. Can you work with a rescue group to get this litter of Molly's spayed/neutered when it's time, and properly re-homed?

I think you should definitely talk to the council about the situation.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kurayami

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The girl who owns the kittens hasn't been by today yet, but I'm going to over there later this afternoon and talk to the Dad about this. Including Molly, they've got three cats that are able to breed, and the owner doesn't want to have more kittens. They need to deal with it. I don't want to call the council, but it might be best option. I weighed the kittens this afternoon and they all weigh between 111g and 121g. Molly seems to be doing well, which is good.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Glad to hear the kittens are doing well. Please let us know how the talk with the dad goes. I really admire you for taking this on.

kurayami

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I went over to the neighbour's house and spoke to the Dad. I explained that the two kittens from the last litter, being 6 months old could become pregnant and they all need to be desexed. The dad said they're organising homes for all 8 kittens, and getting Molly desexed as soon as possible, the girl told me she has enough money to pay for it. The girl wants to take Molly and the kittens to her house (apparently, there's a good place in the girl's room). I agreed to it, because I have an anxiety condition and I don't know if I've got the capacity to look after Molly and six kittens considering I'm starting a law degree in two weeks. 

Honestly, I think I've done the best I can for a cat that isn't mine.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You've gone far above and beyond. Please explain a few things to the girl, such as how Molly needs extra food, including wet, while nursing; that the kittens should be weaned before Molly is spayed; that kittens are not re-homed until they are 8-10 weeks. You can refer her to our website for questions if you'd like. We'd be happy to help her!

Thank you for everything! You've done so much to help Miss Molly. We are here if you need us again, and best of luck with your law studies! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Last edited:

eck1kaylie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You've done so much more than most people would for someone else's cat. Thank you for making sure Molly and her babies got the care they needed!
Is there any way you could check in on them every now and again? You've done so much already, but it sounds like her owners might be a little uneducated about cat care. If the girl and her parents have been receptive to your help so far, they might appreciate more pointers. :)

kurayami

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My anxiety got the better of me today. So I returned Molly and the kittens a day early. I helped settle them in. Once we moved Molly and the kittens, Molly's first reaction was to take her kittens and leave, so I sprayed a bunch of Feliway around and made sure she was comfortable, and the kittens were okay, and they seem to be doing well. I noticed today that Molly has fleas. The owner couldn't afford anything more than some flea powder. But I was worried that my girls might get fleas, though my floors are all wooden in my house. Any way, I ordered some revolution for my girls. So I offered to give Molly a treatment as well. Hopefully that will kill the fleas.

I've given the owner the numbers of some alternative rescue organizations and the local council, so she can rehome the kittens as is appropriate.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You are so helpful! Poor Molly - seems she was happy at your place. I'm still concerned that since the owners have no money, they will do nothing to get any cats or kittens de-sexed or properly re-homed, though of course that is no longer your responsibility. You were quite nice to give them some contact numbers of rescue organizations, along with flea meds and Feliway. My guess is that Molly will get pregnant again before she gets spayed.

Last edited:

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the owners are hoping 'out of sight out of mind' and took the cat and kittens so you won't give them any more advice.   I have a feeling nothing will be done any differently.  You can only do so much. sigh

kurayami

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The girl who owns Molly said she has enough money to desex her, and the father of the girl who owns Molly seems adamant that their be no more cat pregnancies, and I explained clearly that if Molly becomes pregnant again, or if any of the older kittens do, I'll have no choice but to call the council.

I'll continue discussing it with them and checking on the kittens as they progress. I pray that they'll do the right thing.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I will hold them in my prayers also. And please keep us informed as to how Molly and the kittens are doing. Thank you for everything you have done. You are truly a caring person.