My neighbors' cat

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some of you have probably read my posts about feeding my neighbors' elderly cat. That's Blackie. Well, now another neighbors' cat has been coming to our house. It's cold, and she has been sleeping in the doghouse on our back porch. DH felt sorry for her and he fed her. Then he noticed that she had a number of knots on her neck around her flea collar. I checked and it is horrible. Her neck and head are covered in bumps. We figured the collar was either too tight and irritating her skin or she was allergic to it. We've never put a flea collar on a cat, so we really don't know much about them. Anyway, we removed the collar and she seemed instantly happier. I hope her skin will heal now that the collar is gone. They are not open sores, just rather large and numerous bumps.

mommyclimber

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's great that you took off the flea collar and the cat felt better instantly. Now we still have to deal with the flea problem. Do you know who the owner is? Since that cat is allergic to flea collars, the owner may need to find other ways to keep fleas off that cat such as shampoo and powder. The problem is that the owner will need to shampoo or spread the powder on a regular basis; does he/she care enough to do that? I actually heard about herbal flea collars. I just googled it. It doesn't seem to be commonly used (only 17,200 results as oppose to 299,000 for "flea collar") but it may be worth it to check it out.

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You did a good thing.

Flea collars are bad. I don't know why they are still being sold.

No cat that has entered my house wearing one has left with it on.

Yes, I am a flea collar thief

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mommyclimber

It's great that you took off the flea collar and the cat felt better instantly. Now we still have to deal with the flea problem. Do you know who the owner is? Since that cat is allergic to flea collars, the owner may need to find other ways to keep fleas off that cat such as shampoo and powder. The problem is that the owner will need to shampoo or spread the powder on a regular basis; does he/she care enough to do that? I actually heard about herbal flea collars. I just googled it. It doesn't seem to be commonly used (only 17,200 results as oppose to 299,000 for "flea collar") but it may be worth it to check it out.
We are fairly certain we know who the owners are; we don't visit with them or anything, but they live down the road. DH is going to tell the man about what happened.

I don't think the cat necessarily felt better instantly, but was probably just glad to have the tight collar off. DH couldn't even slip a finger underneath it.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww poor kitty, I hate flea collars, when I first had a cat of my own I bought one and when I removed it she was bald underneath, I hate them since that point, they are horrid things and alot of cats seem to be alleric to them and puttin them on so tight is uneccessary too. I hope your neighbour takes on board what you tell him. x

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm surprised that the owners didn't notice all those knots on the cat. It's so bad that I'm sure it didn't happen all at once. Her fur hasn't fallen out, so the problem isn't visible. But if DH hadn't told me about it first, I would have freaked when I touched her. This cat has never let us come near her before; she's always ran from our porch when we opened the door. Or even ran from the yard when we stepped outside. She's very friendly, however, now that she has met us. She keeps trying to come in our house, much to Daisy's interest and Speck's disdain.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like all the neighbourhood cats know your place is somewhere they'll receive some loving attention.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope the kitty will be ok and the people she lives with will start taking better care of her. I have never used flea collars. I use Advantage to keep fleas away during the summer months.

You and DH were so helpful to her, I hope you will be able to talk to her owners about taking better care of their kitty.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many years ago I put a flea collar on a cat I had at the time. He started having seizures and nearly died. Hartz and OTC flea products are DANGEROUS.

Best thing to do about fleas is Frontline or Advantage for cats.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

Sounds like all the neighbourhood cats know your place is somewhere they'll receive some loving attention.
Makes you wonder if they get together and "chat!"

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dusty's Mom

Makes you wonder if they get together and "chat!"
Cats are drawn to our house like a magnet.

There seems to be a bit of a turf war going on between the other neighbors' cat and this new one with the flea collar problems. The other neighbors' cat is elderly and we think almost blind. Yet DH had to run outside to stop him from beating the crap out of the new cat this morning.

I am trying to think of a name for the new cat. She is solid black. DH likes simple names. So I'm trying to think of something simple and pretty to call her. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. She looks just like my sil's cat Lacy, but we can't have two Lacys in the family.