My name is Latka, thanks for having me!

tickledpickle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Who knew that I would fall in love with my pet kitty Latka?  Me, the cleanest woman on the block with a nose as sharp as a hunting dog's .. ok, slight exaggeration.  My mom urged me to get a kitty after a difficult divorce, she said I need to calm down and see that there's more to life than stress and worry about unloaded baggage!

Off to the humane society I went, quite anxiously I might add!  Had to go back several times to work up the courage to finally pick up a cat and consider taking her home ... All I knew was that I wanted a female cat companion.  Once I had my mind made up that I was coming home with a cat if I meet the right one, I went in confidently, with my heart rate still elevated. 

Latka was the first one I picked up and instantly liked.  She was so cute, mellow, cuddly and calm.  Just to be sure that I was picking a kitty who would be the perfect fit for me, I moved on to meet with other cats but kept my eye on Latka in case someone else decided to give her a try!  No other cat compared, Latka was the one.  There was something about her, she needed me and I needed her.  I have made up my mind.

Latka's history was a bit sad, she was hauled off to the shelter due to urinating outside of litterbox.  I had been renting a house with previous cat urine problems, so that was a very scary bit of information for me to process.  There were multiple cats in that household and I thought that this was mostly the problem.  After she was dumped at the shelter, an elderly person adopted her but that poor person died after a couple of months and kitty found herself back at the shelter!

Aside from skunk spray, there is absolutely nothing worse than cat pee and/or spray, my nose knew first hand!  I wanted to give Latka a try anyway, how could I not after the way she rubbed against me and settled into my lap, I was a stranger to her!  I did not want to risk getting a good one slip away, she was mine!

The way she meowed on the way home, sitting in her uncomfortable cardboard box!  I was hoping she wasn't getting stressed out!  She had no idea where she was going!  I would be horrified if someone placed me in a huge box for transport!  Once at home, I let her out and she began exploring, very cautiously.  I followed her around, making sure that she wasn't peeing in weird places, I couldn't get her history out of my head!  Eventually I had to occupy myself with other things, since she hid behind the entertainment center and stayed there for a while. 

Four hours later, kitty got the courage to explore some more and did not return to the back of the entertanment center.  She has been cautious around my kids, tolerated them but didn't let them pet her too much.  She became my sidekick, my furry friend who was by my side each and every night.  I could tell that she was happy to be with me and I was excited to have such a good, loving kitty.  Never once did she eliminate anywhere in the house besides inside of her litterbox.

Fast forward 5 months ... I bought a new house and we moved.  The kids and I, a bunch of furniture and boxes and her highness.  That's when the problems began, but I will leave that for another thread, my friends!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS! 

It sounds like Latka well and truly chose you...  I hope the problems of the move are not too difficult 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tickledpickle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, what a neat site this is!  I'm learning so much about kitties!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tickledpickle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks!  I'm so glad her and I met!  She seems to be doing better and what I thought might turn into a huge issue might just be a non-issue soon, if it already isn't!