My mother wants to declaw Ozzy

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Originally Posted by broken

Is it absoloutely neccessary to clip your cats nails?Because I wouldnt feel comfortable doing it.I can try the soft paws,and yes he has a scratching post,he uses it quite a bit and only scratches the couch when i'm gone for a long time.

Where would I get soft paws?I've looked in pet stores around here but cant find them.Are they in Canada?
If you are going to apply the soft paws, you will have to clip his nails anyhow.... clipping won't be any more of a hassle than applying the caps - you can usually have a vet or groomer walk you through it the first time... i'm not sure about their availability at pet stores in Canada, but have you tried ebay?? I've seen them there many times! Good luck!

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This page: http://www.softpaws.com/article.html
has instructions on clipping claws, with photos to help. If your kitten is still too young for Soft Paws, trimming the nails will help prevent furniture damage in the meantime.

Now is a great time to get your kitten used to having his nails trimmed. If you get a cat used to having a manicure when he's young, it's a breeze to keep the claws maintained throughout his life.

Even though my cats have learned not to scratch the furniture & no longer need softpaws, I still trim their nails - front and back, so they won't scratch me when they climb onto my lap or jump down. Regular trims will also help keep the claws from getting so long that they catch in the carpet, and blunting the back claws will help reduce any damage to furniture from the cats jumping around on it. Plus, when cats grow older and inactive (often in the mid-to late teens), they often need help maintaining their claws because they don't scratch as effectively.

Hope this helps!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't be afraid of clipping nails - 99% of cats have white nails (unlike dogs) where you can see the quick and not cut into it. You basically just have to clip the sharp end off. Have a vet or other experienced person show you how to do it properly.

You might need two people (one to hold, one to clip) till you get used to it. A cat that has nails done once a week will scratch LESS then one that gets it done once a month or so.

I hold my cats/kittens on my lap on their backs and nip the nails. If need be, wrap the kitten up in a towel and do one foot as a time.

Tell your mom that if the cat is declawed, he might not use the litter pan anymore and go other places - that should change her mind.

I would tell people (who were considering declawing) that IF they have tried everything else and nothing has worked (extreme cases), then IF you declaw that cat, YOU must keep the cat for the rest of his/her life; even if they develop problems. You did something to the cat that caused him/her pain and possible behavior problems that didn't exist before the declawing - don't declaw and when the cat acts up, kick them out of the house or try to find a new home because of something you created!

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wish you all the luck in the world persuading your mum against declawing.

As GoldenKitty45 said - don't worry about clipping nails, it really is easy when you get used to it. We had the vet show us the first time too and looked at pictures on websites.

I clip Lily and Tolstoy's claws when they are asleep, either on my lap or on the bed. They don't worry about it being done and I feel calm because they are calm. It all works fine!. I found the big pet clippers a bit cumbersome and they scared Lily, so I use nail clippers - they work perfectly. Make sure you clip in good light as well, it helps to see where to clip and where not to.