My mom wants to give the cat away because of what happened last night...

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluffysimba

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I recommend that you get the clippers out and start trimming Maggie's nails on a regular basis. I use a regular human clipper and all my cats learned about nail trimmings.
Regular clippings will help prevent scratches like this. Cats LOVE to run and pounce on moving objects. Your brother was the prey and she got him.

Sounds like she might need more toys. Make sure she has some scratching posts around the house.

ALSO watch her tail. You can tell the mood your kitty is in by the twitch of her tail.
Watch her all the time and you'll begin to learn the difference.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah yes.. I have a rescue/foster who was communicating with his claws and teeth - I have the scars and the antibiotic refills to prove it!

I did something very similar as Otto described. Casper WANTED attention from me... cats are in this for themselves and you have to figure out what she wants and work with that. Dogs usu. want to please, cats want to please themselves!

In this case, when I began to read his body language and he was going to "strike" or would go to nip or swat at me, he got a hiss or puff of air in his face, a sharp NO! and I would turn away and refuse to engage him.

If this would happen a couple of times in succession I would just get up and leave his room for five or ten minutes. It took me about three months to get him to communicate in a better way with me. He is very lovey with ME and really no one else and is afraid of the other cats.

He is damaged goods and it will take a special person to adopt him.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have time to read the whole thread. Just wanted to mention if someone else hasn't already that keeping her claws clipped will go a long way towards preventing serious scratches.

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had a kitty who used to guard the refrigerator, which, unfortunately was in the walkway to the kitchen, with 3 feet of space to walk thru.

Guard cat would pounce on my kids almost every time they walked by. He was playing, but they weren't too happy with it.

I totally agree with everyone's advice. Your kitty needs socialization. And make absolute sure your brother never taunts her in any way. Ever. Good luck to all of you.

lunasmom09

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I totally agree with everyone's posts here, but one idea has not been voiced yet:

How old is the brother? How mature? Kids will be kids, and boys will boys. And for that reason, it's recommended that kids under the age of 10 not be left alone with a pet whenever possible. There's a chance that he could have been doing more than playing rough with the cat before going up the stairs. If he's developed a history with the cat of extremely rough play, or worse, the cat will eventually respond in kind.

Kids can do a lot of damage to a pet without even knowing it.

There was a kid in my neighborhood when I was growing up who loved to pick up his cat by the tail and swing her around. Before dislocating it, she turned into one nasty animal and went after any kid that so much as walked onto their property.

I strongly recommend that family members "spy" on the boy when he's alone with the cat to determine just how responsible he is with her.

ginger

lucybaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i agree with the person above me. boys can often be the antagonist in the story of animals. they play rough, act hyper, etc. that can kind of bother the cat. maybe she just doesn't like him. my cat hit my grandparents and grandpa won't even touch her. she bites my mother fairly often andbites me rarely tho she still does. i've had everything to bite scratchmarks to bites to a lovely attack on my ear a year ago that left a 2 inch long gash from the top down that went almost all the way tru, got blood all over the floor, a brand new shirt, and bleed A LOT for 15 mins or so (which should have required stitches but it was not going to risk going to the ER and getting the stomach flu) and left my ear so sore, i had to be extra extra delicate even putting my hair behind my ear for a couple months and couldn't even sleep on my right side for about 2 months.

i can't remember reading how old your cat is but is it possible to get her front claws removed? have you considered the little claw cover things? i remember seeing them when i was littl ebut i can't remember seeing them since, tho i haven't been looking.

if the cat doesn't work out, is there a friend or relative you could give it to? it would be terrible for it to go back to the spca. now with that being said, did it cross ya'lls minds that if your matchmaker quiz didn't match you with an "adequate match", maybe you should have waited? obviously the cat wasn't matched with you for a reason. it would be a shame to take the cat anyway just to have to take it back.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lucybaby

i agree with the person above me. boys can often be the antagonist in the story of animals. they play rough, act hyper, etc. that can kind of bother the cat. maybe she just doesn't like him. my cat hit my grandparents and grandpa won't even touch her. she bites my mother fairly often andbites me rarely tho she still does. i've had everything to bite scratchmarks to bites to a lovely attack on my ear a year ago that left a 2 inch long gash from the top down that went almost all the way tru, got blood all over the floor, a brand new shirt, and bleed A LOT for 15 mins or so (which should have required stitches but it was not going to risk going to the ER and getting the stomach flu) and left my ear so sore, i had to be extra extra delicate even putting my hair behind my ear for a couple months and couldn't even sleep on my right side for about 2 months.

i can't remember reading how old your cat is but is it possible to get her front claws removed? have you considered the little claw cover things? i remember seeing them when i was littl ebut i can't remember seeing them since, tho i haven't been looking.

if the cat doesn't work out, is there a friend or relative you could give it to? it would be terrible for it to go back to the spca. now with that being said, did it cross ya'lls minds that if your matchmaker quiz didn't match you with an "adequate match", maybe you should have waited? obviously the cat wasn't matched with you for a reason. it would be a shame to take the cat anyway just to have to take it back.
This is an anti declaw site. We will never recommend anyone have a cat declawed, this site is officially against such mutilation of cats.

Are you aware of what declawing is? I can provide you with some links that tell exactly what is done to the cat (amputation of the first digit of the toe) if you wish.

I am sorry to hear you have such problems with your own cat. Cats can be trained not to bite and scratch, if you read through this thread you will find many useful methods that are effective. Like any training, it will take time and patience and absolute consistency.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom09

I totally agree with everyone's posts here, but one idea has not been voiced yet:

How old is the brother? How mature? Kids will be kids, and boys will boys. And for that reason, it's recommended that kids under the age of 10 not be left alone with a pet whenever possible. There's a chance that he could have been doing more than playing rough with the cat before going up the stairs. If he's developed a history with the cat of extremely rough play, or worse, the cat will eventually respond in kind.

Kids can do a lot of damage to a pet without even knowing it.

I strongly recommend that family members "spy" on the boy when he's alone with the cat to determine just how responsible he is with her.

ginger
Excellent point, about the fact that the boy may be harassing the cat, thanks for posting that thought!

lucybaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

This is an anti declaw site. We will never recommend anyone have a cat declawed, this site is officially against such mutilation of cats.

Are you aware of what declawing is? I can provide you with some links that tell exactly what is done to the cat (amputation of the first digit of the toe) if you wish.

I am sorry to hear you have such problems with your own cat. Cats can be trained not to bite and scratch, if you read through this thread you will find many useful methods that are effective. Like any training, it will take time and patience and absolute consistency.
i was unaware that it is an anti-declaw site so i appologize. i was 17 when i got my cat so it wasn't really up to me, but even tho i know what it is,i know the pros and the cons but my next one will be declawed in front as well.

and honestly no bashing, but seeing as 70% of all cats in shelters get euthanized every year (roughly 2-2.5 million) in the u.s. alone, i'd think the site would be against breeding before declawing.

thaks. i don;t want to say "ohh..it's ok" b/c it's not.lol. i work SOOO hard on training her not to bite but my parents just say no and continue to pet her. so my hours worth of effort can be squashed in 2 minutes, you know. it's so difficult. but one thing i can say is that i've taught her "sit" and "stay"! and she knows that treat time is sit time! i don't think that's something many people can say about their cat so i may have a "mean kitty", but she's a smart kitty, so it all evens out... for now atleast. lol

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

i know the pros and the cons but my next one will be declawed in front as well.
Do you really know the pros and cons then? I'm not trying to bash you in any way, but if you insist on having a declawed cat, PLEASE adopt one that has already been put through the torture. I have friends who adopt cats from local shelters and prefer to have them declawed, but they only adopt ones that already are, they would NEVER put a cat through that.

When I was in 6th grade, we had a "career day" kind of thing where we shadowed a professional in a career we were interested in. At the time, I wanted to be a vet, so I spent the day at a vet office in my town. The ONE thing I remember from that day is that I witnessed a kitten getting declawed. It was horrendous, and still haunts me to this day, over 20 years later.

Cats' claws are a part of them, they need them in the same ways that we need our fingernails. Declawed cats, besides being mutilated, are also very susceptible to arthritis and other related health issues. And for what? So they don't scratch your furniture? I guess my thinking is that if someone's furniture is that important to them, then they shouldn't be looking at getting a cat.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lucy bites because she was declawed. And it may have something to do with why she has inappropriate urination problems too.

Please do some research before you voluntarily have another cat mutilated. Declawing of cats is outlawed in 26 countries around the world. So far only 6 cities in the USA have banned declawing but it's a start, it's coming. I hope you will reconsider.

Declawing an adult cat is very unlikely to solve behavior problems, in fact it will make them worse.

lucybaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mystik Spiral

Do you really know the pros and cons then? I'm not trying to bash you in any way, but if you insist on having a declawed cat, PLEASE adopt one that has already been put through the torture. I have friends who adopt cats from local shelters and prefer to have them declawed, but they only adopt ones that already are, they would NEVER put a cat through that.

When I was in 6th grade, we had a "career day" kind of thing where we shadowed a professional in a career we were interested in. At the time, I wanted to be a vet, so I spent the day at a vet office in my town. The ONE thing I remember from that day is that I witnessed a kitten getting declawed. It was horrendous, and still haunts me to this day, over 20 years later.

Cats' claws are a part of them, they need them in the same ways that we need our fingernails. Declawed cats, besides being mutilated, are also very susceptible to arthritis and other related health issues. And for what? So they don't scratch your furniture? I guess my thinking is that if someone's furniture is that important to them, then they shouldn't be looking at getting a cat.
yes, i do know the pros and cons. and no, it's not just for my furniture. for children and elderly as well. it's also a theory that declawed cats don't spread disease as wwell, less likely to scratch a dog or other cat in the eye (tho they still could with back claws but less likely), cat's with claws can still bite, and i have no problem with being diligent about keeping the cat in.

i could see the claws being super important if they went outside (my friend lets her cat out all the time and he doesn't have from claws and he's running out of lives) but my cat can still run, climb, play, throw toys, bat at toys, you name it, just as well as a cat with claws and doesn't get her front claws stuck in blankets or the carpet when she's "kneeding" them like my cousins cats.

i feel a little like the "if furniture is that important important you shouldn't have a cat" statement is like saying "if furniture our something really nice in your hosue is important to you, you shouldn't have kids; todlers or teens" or "if your car is imprtant to you shouldn't drive on the interstate"

lucybaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

Lucy bites because she was declawed. And it may have something to do with why she has inappropriate urination problems too.

Please do some research before you voluntarily have another cat mutilated. Declawing of cats is outlawed in 26 countries around the world. So far only 6 cities in the USA have banned declawing but it's a start, it's coming. I hope you will reconsider.

Declawing an adult cat is very unlikely to solve behavior problems, in fact it will make them worse.
she was 3 or 4 months old when she was declawed. i would NEVER declaw an adult cat. and i'm not sure why you think i would! or why i would think it would "solve a problem"

i remember reading about your issues w/ your cat and you didn't say your cat was declawed...

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you actually realize that when cats are declawed they are amputated down to the entire first "knuckle"? Imagine having your fingers all cut off to the first knuckle and having to live that way forever. Of course you would still be able to bat toys around, but it wouldn't really be too comfortable, would it?

I'm not trying to fight here, but like otto said there are many, many sites we can point you to that describe the horror of declawing. While it may still be legal almost everywhere in the US, any decent vet would NEVER recommend it. Declawing is actually illegal throughout most of Europe because it is so inhumane. Cats who have been declawed often have biting and litter box problems that you have described YOUR cat as having. Cats use their claws to stretch, to exercise and to groom, their claws are not disposable items.

i feel a little like the "if furniture is that important important you shouldn't have a cat" statement is like saying "if furniture our something really nice in your hosue is important to you, you shouldn't have kids; todlers or teens" or "if your car is imprtant to you shouldn't drive on the interstate"
I agree, if your furniture and household items are that important to you, you probably shouldn't have kids. How are cats different? I do have to admit that I'm scratching my head a bit at the car comment though... you can't really compare a cat to a car. You purchase a car to get you from one place to another, and of course there's the inherent danger that you will get into an accident. When you take a car on the road you are putting yourself and your car at the mercy of all the other drivers out there. When you have kids or pets, YOU and you alone are making the choice to put your furniture in danger.

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is what declawing REALLY is:
http://community-2.webtv.net/stopdeclaw/declawpics/

http://declaw.lisaviolet.com/declawvettch.html

http://www.declawing.com/htmls/declawing.htm

http://vetmedicine.about.com/cs/beha...lawdilemma.htm

-------
They remove bone. It is the equivlent of removing your finger tip at the first joint.
-------
Declawing is illegal in:

England
Scotland
Wales
Italy
France
Germany
Austria
Switzerland
Norway
Sweden
Netherlands
Northern Ireland
Ireland
Denmark
Finland
Slovenia
Portugal
Belgium
Spain
Brazil
Australia
New Zealand

Source: http://www.declawing.com/list.html

brokenheart

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There's a lot of very good advice here. I'd like to reiterate: clip her claws (don't declaw) and check out if the younger brother's antagonizing her - that's a really common dynamic between young kids and pets; and learn to recognize the signs that your cat is getting overstimulated.

brokenheart

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

yes, i do know the pros and cons. and no, it's not just for my furniture. for children and elderly as well. it's also a theory that declawed cats don't spread disease as wwell, less likely to scratch a dog or other cat in the eye (tho they still could with back claws but less likely), cat's with claws can still bite, and i have no problem with being diligent about keeping the cat in.

i could see the claws being super important if they went outside (my friend lets her cat out all the time and he doesn't have from claws and he's running out of lives) but my cat can still run, climb, play, throw toys, bat at toys, you name it, just as well as a cat with claws and doesn't get her front claws stuck in blankets or the carpet when she's "kneeding" them like my cousins cats.

Well, the toddlers/teens arguments kind of works as an argument against declawing. You wouldn't mutilate a child for life just because they were being a child. Furniture is inanimate; cats aren't.

You know how maddening an itch is if you can't scratch it? I think that's what it must be like for cats with no back claws.

Most cats can be taught to let you clip their claws regularly, even adult cats. (They may not like it, but they'll let you.)

Maybe your friend should be reported. Letting a cat without claws run around outside seems like some kind of cruelty. The cat's a sitting duck for anything that wants to attack her.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

she was 3 or 4 months old when she was declawed. i would NEVER declaw an adult cat. and i'm not sure why you think i would! or why i would think it would "solve a problem"

i remember reading about your issues w/ your cat and you didn't say your cat was declawed...
I don't know what issues you are talking about. My cats are not declawed, nor do they have behavior issues.

I raised one unsocialized cat who sent me to the ER a few times, but I wouldn't have dreamed of having her toes amputated. I taught her how to behave with love and kindness, patience and consistency. She's very sweet now, though she does have boundaries the other cats do not have. I respect her boundaries, and all is well.

My comment:

Was directed to the OP, as you suggested they declaw their cat, and I said it will not solve any behavior problems, it will make them worse.

3 months or 3 years, it has no justification to me, you have had the cat mutilated for human convenience, because someone was too lazy to bother to train the cat properly. And that is why she bites. as you described in one of your first posts, and probably why she has inappropriate uirnation issues, as stated in your other thread.

As was already suggested, if you must have a declawed cat, please consider getting one already done from a shelter, the shelters are full of them, because people decide after they mutilate their cats, they don't want them after all.

lucybaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Brokenheart

Well, the toddlers/teens arguments kind of works as an argument against declawing. You wouldn't mutilate a child for life just because they were being a child. Furniture is inanimate; cats aren't.

You know how maddening an itch is if you can't scratch it? I think that's what it must be like for cats with no back claws.

Most cats can be taught to let you clip their claws regularly, even adult cats. (They may not like it, but they'll let you.)

Maybe your friend should be reported. Letting a cat without claws run around outside seems like some kind of cruelty. The cat's a sitting duck for anything that wants to attack her.
i have never heard of a vet taking all 4 out. my own cat has her back claws. just not her front.

i have no todler/teen argument. i was just saying how the one person said people who care about furniture shouldn't have cats. almost every one cares about their possesions in one way or another. you buy nice things and want to keep them nice. it would be irresponsible to buy something and then be all "i don't care what hapens to this". their vet knows he goes out w/o his front claws b/c he's been in many fights and needed to be taken to the vet. when her kids open the door, the cat gets out. when her husband gets home, the cat gets out b/c it's dark, the cat's black, and he has his hands full. she doesn't enjo the fact that the cat goes out but he;s sly and finds a way.

animal control even knows he gets out and doesn't have claws b/c a neighbor of theirs accused him of breaking thru their screened porch and attacking their cat.

lucybaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mystik Spiral

Do you actually realize that when cats are declawed they are amputated down to the entire first "knuckle"? Imagine having your fingers all cut off to the first knuckle and having to live that way forever. Of course you would still be able to bat toys around, but it wouldn't really be too comfortable, would it?

I'm not trying to fight here, but like otto said there are many, many sites we can point you to that describe the horror of declawing. While it may still be legal almost everywhere in the US, any decent vet would NEVER recommend it. Declawing is actually illegal throughout most of Europe because it is so inhumane. Cats who have been declawed often have biting and litter box problems that you have described YOUR cat as having. Cats use their claws to stretch, to exercise and to groom, their claws are not disposable items.

I agree, if your furniture and household items are that important to you, you probably shouldn't have kids. How are cats different? I do have to admit that I'm scratching my head a bit at the car comment though... you can't really compare a cat to a car. You purchase a car to get you from one place to another, and of course there's the inherent danger that you will get into an accident. When you take a car on the road you are putting yourself and your car at the mercy of all the other drivers out there. When you have kids or pets, YOU and you alone are making the choice to put your furniture in danger.
yes, i am aware of what it is. my mom asked the vet when i got her in highschool b/c she thought they just pulled the claw out. i don't know. you wouldn't have fingernails so it would be difficult to pick up coins. but you would still have all your fingers, they'd just be shorter. if i had to lose a limb or something, i'd opt for fingertips. you could still function.

if you have drexel herritage furniture, yes. don't have kids, cats, pets, boyfriends, or even friends for that matter be/c the price of it is craaaazy. but everyone should take pride in what they own.

***i am NOT comparing a cat to a car. i am comparing her statement to that statement... it seems silly to me. it seems silly to me that so many people think their hard working money is so disposable. i understand that you're putting your car at the mercy of the other drivers and i understand that you have to teach pets and kids not to do things. my point was strictly that is seems so nuts that someone would basically say "let them ruin something". "you shouldn't care".

Status
Not open for further replies.