My mom made me feel bad

Stormy accepts you

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Saturday night, my mom called me the s word that people call somebody that has a lot of sex. She called me this because when I take peoples orders I call them honey. As in “hey honey, welcome to Taco Bell. How can we help you today?” She said by doing this I’m hitting on men and if they do something to me it’s my fault. She also said I don’t have a real job because I work fast food. She said I’m harassing people and insulting them. She said by calling them honey I’m also being immature. I cried until 11 pm Saturday night, cut my nails, and went to sleep. She also said because I was looking at ways guys insult women thinking they’re complimenting us, I must hate myself. She threatened to put a blocker on the internet if I don’t look at what she deems appropriate. I almost broke a long streak Saturday night, as well. I’m sorry, I just… I still kind of feel like crap…A guy hit on me and asked me what time I got off… I didn’t tell him but she said it was my fault for calling him honey.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
There are far worse words you can use than to call someone honey. I know you meant it in an endearing way. 🤗 I'm very sorry your mother is so controlling since it can negatively affect your self-esteem. It sounds like her views are very antiquated. Do you live with her? The important thing to remember is that you have a job not that you work in fast food. Just out of curiosity, what type of job would meet her standards? I think you need to find a way to stand up for yourself without getting into an argument with her.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There's a lady who works at a fast food place that I really like. She always calls me hun, and she's always smiling and friendly. Never once have I felt "offended" or annoyed at her, it's so much better than people who greet you with a dead eyed stare and take your money without uttering a word.
I get fast food when I'm busy and have no time to prepare, cook, and do the clean up. I appreciate it being available and I appreciate the people who work there so they can do something I don't have the time for.
And I could not disagree more with saying if you call someone honey and they do something to you, it's your fault. JMO but that is never, ever, EVER OK.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say it's expected that you give a warm friendly welcome to customers. And honey would not offend me or anyone I know. I'm from the North of England and we often hear term's like honey or hun when being served. As for your work a job is a job you are lucky to have a job. As for the guy well that certainly wasn't your fault. Sometimes those things happen guy sees gal and trys his luck. You did nothing wrong so don't upset yourself.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Stormy accepts you

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There are far worse words you can use than to call someone honey. I know you meant it in an endearing way. 🤗 I'm very sorry your mother is so controlling since it can negatively affect your self-esteem. It sounds like her views are very antiquated. Do you live with her? The important thing to remember is that you have a job not that you work in fast food. Just out of curiosity, what type of job would meet her standards? I think you need to find a way to stand up for yourself without getting into an argument with her.
Yes, I do. Can’t afford not to right now. She liked when I worked at a nursing home until Covid hit.

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Your mum' wrong, it IS a proper job, calling someone honey while at work I don't see a problem with it, it's not like your saying anything insulting like calling every customer "dickface" (for example) :alright: