My mom and I are rather outraged right now!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by shengmei

Look up his criminal records. People like that generally have a long list of minor crimes (but no major crimes as witnesses get intimdated easily).

If he has a criminal record, then it would be enough grounds to file a restraining order against him. I don't know how hard it is to do over there, but in Texas it is really easy and you can do it online.
Well according to this person that gave my mom her info, he HATES the cops and has been in trouble for beating up his g/f and one of the cops had to spray mace in his face
he drives around with a gun in his truck and hes not licensed to have it

pandybear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catloverin_ks

Thank you! Yes not all people are irresponsible that have outdoor cats....my mom has spent money on her cats(spay,shots,etc) and now shes just out the money because of that POS!
He does seriously have some issues, and its too bad that he had to move into her neighborhood! Man we are all so disgusted by this and feel that we are getting no help from the cops. This is such a small town that its like nobody care about animals or anything!
at least your mum gets her cats shots done, my mum looks after her cats and when i say that i mean it very lightly, she feeds them but that's about all and she won't give the eldest one to me even though i have asked many times, it's annoying because princess is very old and really needs to be inside now, plus, at her age she really needs regular vet checkups....i keep trying though.

i can also understand about the small town mentality, i lived in a very small town (100 people) for over two years and the people there couldn't give a hoot about cats or any other sort of animals, they constantly made me mad and they are so stupid and set in their ways that you can't tell them a d**n thing.

i actually rescued a cat that had been locked in a cabin for two weeks without food or water, i looked after it and even found it a home but before taking it to it's new home i took it to the vet and found out it had advanced cat aids, it was pretty apparent but i was hopeful before i knew for sure, it broke my heart to have to have that cat uethenised.

i would also see starving feral kittens all the time and i did try to help but the problem was huge....after a while it just devastated me and when ever i'd mention it to someone in the town they would look at me like i was the crazy one....once the publican and his wife found a whole litter of kittens in a bed in the pub hotel and instead of helping the poor little things out they took them out somehwere and killed them

if i was your mum i would just forget it and move because people like that are morons but after ten years it would not be fair on her, besides, she was there first.

luckily iv'e moved now, people like that just annoy me so much.

sorry...just had to vent

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yicks, first cats, then his girlfriend, next neigborhood children. This guy needs to be stopped. I am so sorry for you and your mother. I hope that you are able to get some justice. If nothing else just make it visibly known that this man is a domestic violence abuser and an animal abuser. I wouldn't want that guy in my neighborhood, or any neighborhood for that matter.

shengmei

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catloverin_ks

Well according to this person that gave my mom her info, he HATES the cops and has been in trouble for beating up his g/f and one of the cops had to spray mace in his face
he drives around with a gun in his truck and hes not licensed to have it
You can call this number:

To report illegal gun purchases, firearms trafficking and the use of firearms in violent crimes, call: The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives at 1800-ATF-GUNS.

I would consider shooting housepets with an illegal firearm would qualify under this statement.

shengmei

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is the form for a restraining order for your mom to fill out.

http://www.kscourts.org/council/pfs07-04.pdf

This is a quote from the actual restraining order form:

Course of conduct means conduct consisting of two or more separate acts over a period of time, however short, that show a continuity of purpose which would cause a reasonable person to suffer substantial emotional distress.

I would think that the killing of your mother's two cats and the breaking of her back porch light would cause a reasonable person (your mother) to suffer substantial emotional distress.

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OM*G!!!!!!!!!

That is beyond WRONG! I do understand humainly live trapping cats for the purpose of finding their owner, getting them well, taking them in , or finding a home, as I do, but THIS, THIS HAS to be illegal. In the criminal justice sysytem they see animals as 'property' and all property has a value that people have to pay if they ruin/kill it. Now I am not talking about money, as some cases are settled by, because if you are like me you don't want money because of a dead cat. BUT he could pay time in jail. He SHOULD pay time in jail if this #$%(&%(& was in my neighbor hood and killed Cody I swear on all things holy that I would kill that @#$)(*&#$^!!!!! in the most dreched way possible.

I am so sorry for your loss, and sad to see a life end this way, that is just terrible. I completely understand having outdoor cats, just because your cats are outdoors does NOT mean in amy way that you care less for them as others have stated. I myself have PLENTY of outdoor cats, most are enclosed in a 10' x 10' kennel, but some of the ferals that we haven't mannaged to catch in the trap (humane-the cage type that close when they go in to eat, we check it every couple of hours to make sure a cats not in it when it's set.) are still loose, and probably will remain loose, our two kennels are filling up with ferals, and we have 4 adult cats and 4 kittens in the house. We can't put that many cats in the house, not only would they try to kill each other, but the ferals would be miserable.

No one around here really wants cats, and if they do they don't take care of the animals they already have.

Iam sorry I got carried away, but I do not want you guys to think that I am in any way doing what that evil son of a gun is doing.

If your mom is truely terrified, and she has the means, please tel her to consider finding a good gaurd dog. If her yard is fenced in, she could let the dog out at night to warn of any danger, well that moron doing anything insane. But that would be a risk of the dog... bad idea.

I surely hope this turns out the best way possible, I am terribly sorry and hate to hear this type of thing.

aphrodeia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry that you have to deal with this! It's ridiculous that this man is out there killing cats, just for fun. I hope he's dealt with!

But that being said, I think he's entirely within his rights to take care of his own property. I love my girls dearly, as I love all cats, but I get furious when I find other peoples' cats in my yard.
On more than one occasion, I've been awoken in the middle of the night by cat fights in my front yard! I should not have to tolerate this kind of thing going on just ten feet from my door, and for other pet owners to expect that I should is rude and presumptuous. They have homes and yards of their own. It's no different from finding someone's children in my yard. They don't belong there.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry that you lost another cat.

I am very glad that the cats are to be kept inside now.

Keep in mind that the womans comments to your mom are Hersay unless she will testify...to her statements they arent valid as courts evidence.

And it would take more proof that he actualy was the one to shoot the cat than that as well. Sadly. Wonderful court system.

snowleop

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If there is indeed a hell, I believe your neighbor will go to it.

It's well known that people who abuse animals often are likely to be abusive to people, so I'm not surprised he has a history of beating up women. Honestly, I'm not just scared for your cats at this point. I'm scared for your mom. What a nightmare of a neighbor.

BTW, if you can't take legal action, maybe you can just scare him into thinking that you will. Do you have any friends or relatives who are lawyers who could send him an official-looking-sounding letter? Here's a great opening line, "I will reconsider my decision to take legal action if..." Let him know in the letter that you will be keeping the cats indoors but given the strong possibility that one or two may escape every now and then, you are seriously concerned about the safety of your pets.

I'm so sorry for the trauma that you have gone through.

snowleop

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, shengmei's idea is great.

Restraining order + threating letter sent by lawyer should scare him.

Also, what about publicity? Local papers who might be interested in reporting on this? An interested journalist could find a lot of crap on this guy for you.

Wow, I'm really super-angry about this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SnowLeop

Yes, shengmei's idea is great.

Restraining order + threating letter sent by lawyer should scare him.

Also, what about publicity? Local papers who might be interested in reporting on this? An interested journalist could find a lot of crap on this guy for you.

Wow, I'm really super-angry about this.
Thank you-I really like the idea of the letter
Im sure my brother might do this for her...hes into that "legal" stuff......WE are all super outraged about this....we have talked to other neighbors as well(that own cats) and they now fear for the safety of them(if they escape!)....that being said, even the man and woman that live RIGHT next door and theres one across the street-they HATE cats, but would never EVER do this harm to them-its just RESPECT!
They have a very nice friendly neighborhood and now this *&%%#^%^% moves in and has to ruin it~

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well, this is just sad.
sad for your mom, sad for you, and mostly sad for the cats. When reading this thread I first thought (what someone else already mentioned) ooh ooh! collars, tags! And they even have theses reflector type collars that a car at night can see (like for bicyclers). I was thinking, ok, I can understand not wanting poop in your yard. I don't have a dog, and DON'T want dog poop (or any kind really) in my yard. I enjoy walking barefoot... and thinking logically that he was either releasing the cats farther away, or turning them into shelters... I was thinking well, give the guy the benefit of the doubt... maybe he didn't know they were pets, did they have ID collars on? That would help him to realize which was a feral and which was owned. But this isn't the case... he is sick, and cruel. And people that like to hurt or kill animals (other than for food) are usually doing other horrible things. I've heard statistics that children who hurt animals are most likely being abused, and alot of the famous serial killers used to kill animals or torture them. Please tell your mom to be careful.... and try to fight this legally. The letter idea is great. And you have to generate reports on everything, vet reports, police reports, etc... otherwise it is he said she said. He could say the cat attacked him and he had to shoot it. Good luck... I will keep you guys in my thoughts/prayers...

RIP Macy & Tigger.... you are dearly missed!!!!

shengmei

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure you call the ATF first. They have much stricter enforcement, much better manpower, and much harsher penalties than the local police department.

snowleop

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LuckyGirl

And you have to generate reports on everything, vet reports, police reports, etc... otherwise it is he said she said...
Yes, keep a file and maintain records on everything related to this case. I would even include hand-written notes with dates on them reporting your account of what is going on. Try and stay as fact-oriented, emotionless, and as reportorial as possible in your notes. For example,
-------
6/5/06

Mrs. Jane Smith says in a conversation with my mom that he overheard "neighbor X" telling "neighbor y" that he set out tuna water laced with anti-freeze in his backyard.
--------

It may not be sworn testimony but you need to keep the facts and the dates straight here. Keep records of all vet reports, vet bills, days and times you talked to the police or the ATF, notes re: your conversations with these people, etc.

Trust me on this file thing. It's enormously important to you being able to come across to any potential journalist or police or ATF agent as more-than-legitimate.

I really hope you find a way to nail this jerk.