my mischevious boys

gussy14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I have two one-year old male cats. They are indoor cats and neutered. We've had them since they were about 10 weeks old. They're our first pets, and we absolutely love them.

They seem especially naughty lately! Not in a mean way, but more of a, "Wow, my cat is really smart, but I wish he wouldn't do that" kind of way. For example, we have a false wall to block access to the workshop, hot water heater, and HVAC, and they are not allowed in that room. (It's not so much a door, but a panel that is held in place by springy legs and can be pushed out when something needs servicing.) So instead, they just pull out the bottom of the wall and hop right in the workshop. Seriously? 

Not much has changed in their lives lately. Gus had struvite crystals, and we have had them on an all-wet diet for about a month. They never really seemed to miss the dry. We have been switching brands of wet around a bit to see what they like, but we've had only one puking incident. They eat really well. 

Is this a phase? A sign of a problem? Or is this the other side of the coin of having (particularly?) smart cats? Is there anything I can do to help them get out their naughty energy in more productive ways? We do play with them, but they sometimes seem to get bored/tired of their toys sooner than they used to.

Any of your thoughts are much appreciated! Thanks!

kittenrescuer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Awww. Sounds adorable!

All cats tend to be this way, to explore.

Just their nature.

It may be a phase that goes away when they get older.

I would buy some of those cat playgrounds (the ones that look like little houses. Some you can buy at wal-mart)

and switch them up so they do not get bored!

One day playset 1

next playset 2

next day playet 1

next playset 3

etc. 

Put some catnip around the play houses too. 

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awww. Sounds adorable!

All cats tend to be this way, to explore.

Just their nature.

It may be a phase that goes away when they get older.

Really? Would you please tell that to Sheba?  She is 6 (as far as I know) and still acts the same way. Of course, having S&S might be corrupting her.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A "peek a prize" box might interest them.  Put items of different shapes, sizes, materials so the cats have to figure out the best way of getting the toy.

I love Ritz, but she isn't the smartest cat on the block, and quickly grew bored/frustrated with the box.

alexh17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ahhh adorable! I love how smart cats are..my partner, who is definitely a dog person, doesn't agree- but its amzing how intelligent they can be.

Mine are going through a very naughty kitten stage at the moment. they are 3 and 5 months, and so not quite old enough to be nuetered, but we have it all booked in and are just waiting,... i'm hoping this will sort them out because they are MENTAL!

i started off calling it their 'mad hour' in the evenings when they sprint about chasing eachother, (seriously you'd think it was a baby elephant in the house) and leaving a path of destruction behind them. I'm guessing this is normal for kitties their age??As much as i love their energy and personalities, it can get a bit much when you want a lie in past 6am at the weekend but they are clawing away at the bedroom door to get in (even after i've fed them)

Does anyone know how i can calm them from doing this...? I know cats are creatures of routine and you have to accept the annoyance with the cute. But from personal experience can anyone suggest something that would calm them down, if neutering doesn't? And is it likely to be noticeably effective once they have been neutered? They are indoor cats, but the elder goes out for the odd 10 mins or so once a day, just into our own garden.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gussy14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hm, I like the idea of a puzzle box. Maybe I should tell them "no" when they get a toy out so that they're more interested in doing it? (Very much kidding!) I did a box with treats a while back, but they got bored after a couple of weeks. Maybe toys and treats mixed will do the trick. And catnip, because they should be high while they're doing it.

Still open to any ideas for mischevious energy outlets if people are still reading this! I have only been able to stop the wall opening procedure with mostly full cans of paint.

Alex - our kittens were neutered when we brought them home at 10 wks. They just had to be 2 lbs for the neuter surgery to happen. Are you sure you can't get your boys neutered yet? Can't promise it will help (my boys as prime example!) but it might. I do think the running around craziness has subsided as they've gotten older, but they definitely meow at the door at 7:30 on Saturdays. We don't feed them as soon as we open the door, as we don't want to associate door opening directly with food. I've also found that if I open the door and let them walk around on me for a few minutes, they get bored after a couple minutes and go hang out somewhere else. Or if I get lucky, they curl up next to me. Then I can keep sleeping!