My male cat is peeing outside the box he is spayed and clean bill of health. We need help

domenica ciocca

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have two cats  both are fixed a female who is 3 years old and 5 year old male cat.  They both like to fight.  Starting this year they both been  peeing outside the box. We have 2 litter boxes.  1 that is huge and open and the 2nd one is closed always clean.  about 6 month ago are little girl had UTI infection and pee blood put her on antibiotics blood work done and everything is good.  the boy had blood work done and urinary check and he is healthy.  Why are they peeing outside the box. Please help can not take it anymore

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know this can be frustrating. Have you thoroughly cleaned the areas where they have peed with an enzyme cleaner? If they can still smell it, they will be more likely to continue to pee there. You could also try something like Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract litter to entice them to use the litter box. You could also try Feliway to reduce stress.

The only time my cat peed outside her litter box is when she had FLUTD (UTI). I learned that it's coomon since she started associating the litter box with the pain. Since your female cat had FLUTD, is it possible it's back? I know you said it was 6 months ago, and if that was the time of the check-up for both, maybe it's worth another visit or at least a call to the vet.

And finally, what are you feeding them? Some foods are worse than others for a FLUTD cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

domenica ciocca

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My female cat went to vet last week. She is healthy.  The boy is the jealous one.   we feed them a handful of Blue bufflo dry food in am and wet food friskies in pm

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You also might consider getting new litter boxes and throwing the old ones away.  Or scrub them very well with HOT water and enzyme cleaner. There might be a lingering odor in them.

Other than the excellent suggestions vball91 had, those are the only things that I can think of right now.

Welcome to TCS
and if you have any problems, give me a PM,

domenica ciocca

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What is the best food to feed them Dry or wet and name of brand?

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wet is much better for cats but especially for a FLUTD cat. Please go to www.catinfo.org to learn why. Written by  DVM, she also provides a chart of common cat canned foods in all price ranges with their protein/fat/carb content. Basically you want high animal protein/low carb.

Some brands I would recommend are Hound & Gatos, Addiction, Nature's Variety Instinct, Tiki Cat. I would stay away from fish varieties for your FLUTD cat.

domenica ciocca

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ok how do I take them off there food without getting them sick. Do you like the blue products?

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
ok how do I take them off there food without getting them sick. Do you like the blue products?
Feeding all canned should not make them sick. Usually the problem is in switching dry foods. It might be difficult to get your cats to try other canned though. Here's a good article on switching foods. http://www.naturalcatcareblog.com/2...s-life-saving-tips-for-introducing-new-foods/

I don't have any experience with Blue products, but I have seen good reviews here by other members.