my male cat eats plastic and tape. can someone tell me how to stop this

ilovestorms

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my cat loves to eat plastic wrappings and tape. Is this normal for cats to do? And if its not, how can I stop him?? I always throw the plastic away, but he always seems to get into it, no matter where I hide the trash can. Someone please help!!

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi!!

Yes, this is something that some cats do. One of mine does it.

I just keep him away from plastic wrap, bags, etc. If you have trouble with him getting into the trash can, get one with a pop lid. (If he figures it out after that, put a weight on the lid. :lol3:)

Good luck!! :vibes:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Put a brick on top of the trash can lid or put the trash can in a cabinet and then put a child proof lock on it.

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Two of my 3 cats love to eat that double sided sticky tape.  We can't use it here.  One has also eaten scotch tape.  We keep all that stuff put away and the trash behind a cabinet door (or a tight fitting lid will do.)  The one who is worst about it will try to chew and eat all sorts of things so we have things cat proofed sort of like you would for a one year old child who puts everything in their mouth.

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe it's normal.  My Piper has a plastic fettish!!  She doesn't eat it but she chews on it.  It does worry me so I calmly go over and remove the plastic from her.  She doesn't get upset because she doesn't feel she is in trouble.  But, it is normal. It freaked me out too when she did it the first time.  I'd never seen a cat do that before and I've had cats all my life!!  Though she is the only one that seems to have a fettish for it, the others do enjoy tasting plastic, too.  So yes it is normal. 

grayfluffy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a cat that licks plastic, and one that chews on it. I've had cats in the past that have chewed on photos left laying out, that is even worse, it destroyed some photos. And, the problem with that is that I didn't know this cat had liked to chew on photos until the damage was done.