My Lucky Pierre

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We moved to a new house in early April and life has changed for my boy. We used to live in a very rural area - 10 acres with farmland all around us and now we are more in the "x-burbs" - a "subdivision" with homes on 3-5 acre lots where I can actually see the neighbors when I go on my deck out back.

Lucky doesn't have as much to hunt here (the field mice are gone) and he has become obviously bored to some extent. I see him hunting flying insects and he does wander into the woods around the small creek that border our property. There are no feral cats in the neighborhood and he did spend time defending the old house. He has run off the tame neighbor cats that wander by from time to time here.

When we moved, I kept him inside for about a month inside our sun porch and I believe that he took a liking to life inside. He is starting to come inside daily, sometimes a couple of times a day. When he comes in at night, he often simply stays inside until the morning.

When he comes inside, he plays with toys, climbs the cat condos, scratches the scratch posts (not as many trees outside for him to scratch on) and takes naps all over the house. I knew that he was relaxed when I caught him sound asleep on his back in the middle of the living room. Stumpy, our alpha (a red tabby like Lucky) was asleep in the same position a few feet away. The other night he was dead asleep in a cat tree in the hallway.

The only thing that I haven't gotten him to do is play with me. He plays with the cat wands when they are laying on the floor but when I pick one up to play with him, he runs away. Once in a while I will be woken up by a cat conflict in the middle of the night and I just simply get up and let him back outside. Doesn't happen all that often and of that I am grateful.

This morning I went outside to walk the dogs and was standing on our deck. Lucky jumped up on the railing and was pacing back and forth in front of me. So when I reached out to stroke him, he just crouched down, let me pet him and was purring up a storm. That is a first for him. (He obviously learned the deck railing move from our indoor/outdoor cat Bob).

I'm very happy, as even though we have an even more sheltered area for him at this house, I'm confident that he will come inside in the winter. Life is good for my Lucky Pierre!!

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
awww Amy, the updates on Lucky are so wonderful and I really enjoy reading them. I am so pleased to hear that the transition to the new house have gone almost completely smoothly. He sounds happy!