My loud boy...

stina77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two male kittens, brothers, 6 months old, Pounce and Dingus. I have zero issues with Dingus. Pounce, however, let's just say he's got issues. Pounce likes to meow, constantly, outside our bedroom door. We usually let the kittens sleep with us but are trying to stop that because they'll wake up in the middle of the night and start playing. Lately when we go to bed we shut the door. Pounce will meow for a bit, go play, and we won't hear from him the whole night. 6 am rolls around, he's at our door, meowing non stop. He did it for 30 straight minutes today. We were told not to acknowledge his meows in any way and he'll take the hint. We don't call out to him or open the door. But he just won't quit. We have to open the door eventually to get up and get ready for work. When we open the door, he does his kitty trills, rubs on us, and starts to cuddle rape our faces, like he hasn't seen us in years. I checked their food and water bowls, both were half full. Litter box is clean too.

Any advice to get this little bugger to be quiet? He's always been vocal, but this bedroom door business is wearing us thin. My husband wants to get rid of Pounce and keep Dingus. That's simply not an option. If we get rid of one, we're letitng go of both of them. Giving them up is obviously the last resort.

Please help us all with this transition. I want them to know that when the bedroom door is closed, it's quiet time.

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
awww no why would you give them up!!!

i wish i had advice for you but i always give in and sleep with my kitties. 

they wake me up like clockwork between 5-6am..or used to

i have to wake up at 7am daily for work. i've noticed recently, that they don't pounce on me or bother me until they hear my alarm go off. once that alarm goes off, all bets are off and my hair is off to a bad start

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They are both kittens still, so Pounce may grow out of it. However that also may be his personality, that he loves his humans and wants to be with them all of the time. One thing you could try is a vigorous play session before bed time, something that will really get them tired out like a wand toy or laser tag. Then some yummy food, then bed. The combination of play plus food may help him sleep longer.

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They are both kittens still, so Pounce may grow out of it. However that also may be his personality, that he loves his humans and wants to be with them all of the time. One thing you could try is a vigorous play session before bed time, something that will really get them tired out like a wand toy or laser tag. Then some yummy food, then bed. The combination of play plus food may help him sleep longer.
yes they do grow out of it. from the 4 months that i've had my Charlie, over time, he has stop ambushing me at 4 am. and now he comes to me after my alarm goes off. 

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can ALMOST guarantee that if you would invest in a heated pad and a cat bed they would sleep in that instead of with you in your bedroom, I know our two sure do. I don't know of a cat that can resist a heated bed. I hate to say it but 6AM doesn't sound that early to me, I would love it if mine waited until 6! I use my extra time in the mornings to do laundry and clean litterboxes!  At 6 months they should be still trainable to leave the door alone, but I would suggest you keep it closed at all times, not just when you are sleeping, maybe they would get used to it then. Good luck and keep us posted!

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
hMMMMMM

hmmmmmmMMmmmammmMMMMMM

HMMMMMM!!!!! @Di and Bob  

that sounds like an AMAZING idea. how does the heated pad work? i already have cat beds...do i have to buy special cat beds with heating pads in them??

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought mine at Orshelns (a farm supply ) but I've seen them in different places like building centers and of course pet stores. You might try Amazon, they have several, they've got the one like mine around 28.00, that was cheaper then what I paid. Just make sure you get the electric one, not the 'self warmer". My cats are in it ALL the time, I even got my outside feral one for his hut. The outside ones have protected cords. They stay at a low heat until the cat lays on it, then it builds to a nice 102degrees, they cost almost nothing to run, it was said less then a light bulb.You can lay them right in an existing bed, I wrap mine in a towel unless it comes with a cover.Good luck!

Last edited:

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I bought mine at Orshelns (a farm supply ) but I've seen them in different places like building centers and of course pet stores. You might try Amazon, they have several, they've got the one like mine around 28.00, that was cheaper then what I paid. Just make sure you get the electric one, not the 'self warmer". My cats are in it ALL the time, I even got my outside feral one for his hut. The outside ones have protected cords. They stay at a low heat until the cat lays on it, then it builds to a nice 102degrees, they cost almost nothing to run, it was said less then a light bulb.You can lay them right in an existing bed, I wrap mine in a towel unless it comes with a cover.Good luck!
HMMMMMMM

thanks. i'm gonna look into it :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stina77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks all. I'll look into the heated bed. Do they make those in human size too? Lol. Giving them up was definitely our last option. It's not gonna happen though. I already have a wand toy and laser pointer. We play for 1 hour before bed. He's still up at 6 am. That's quite early considering I work 2nd shift, at 3pm. We are gonna keep the door closed too.

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks all. I'll look into the heated bed. Do they make those in human size too? Lol. Giving them up was definitely our last option. It's not gonna happen though. I already have a wand toy and laser pointer. We play for 1 hour before bed. He's still up at 6 am. That's quite early considering I work 2nd shift, at 3pm. We are gonna keep the door closed too.
kittens are mostly nocturnal. They are both only 6 months old, so you can rest assured knowing that over time, most times by the time the cat is about 1 year old, they will calm down a bit more...and will start to acclimate to your sleeping schedule, or learn to keep themselves busy and not wake you :)

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They are still very young and are learning the routine.  What works for me when I bring a new kitty home, no matter the age, is to have a really long, hard play session just before bedtime, then give them a serving of yummy wet food.  Then lights out!  The play-eat-sleep routine mimics their natural rhythm.  My kitties sleep through the night and do not get up until we do, even as kittens they didn't wake during the night.

stina77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We played for almost 2 hours last night, playing with the wand toy and laser pointer. I was in bed by 1230am. Pounce did well throughout the night, although, like clockwork, back at the bedroom door at 6am. We put our earplugs in and we just woke up. :D So, he's learning. When we woke up he wasn't by the door or meowing.

We can't do wet food because it gives them diahrrea and they vomit. Any other bedtime meal suggestions?

lolaizzy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have the same problem with our 2nd cat, Lola. She's only just started this behaviour over the last week and it's gradually getting worse each night. She comes up to our in the wee hours of the morning whining and scratching incessantly at our door. She'll stop for a few seconds, then continue. Then she'll walk away, we'll start to drift off, then she's back. I made a point to play with her right before bed, as well. I almost never feed my cats wet food or give them many treats (I don't give them to them on a regular basis in that they expect them at any certain time). We've never let our cats sleep in our bedroom (I can't sleep with the door open and being cats, they love to get on things and knock things down). I'm not sure at all why she's just started this habit and it's quite frustrating as this a behaviour that's hard to live with! I'm trying to work with her and find long-term solutions for this to nip it in the bud!!

I did get pretty desperate last night and finally took Lola downstairs and closed to the door - that helped, couldn't hear a thing. Some may disagree with this tactic - we've tried simply ignoring her for as long as we could stand!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
My 14 year old Jake started doing meowing his head off when he went deaf.  He didn't know how loud he was, I guess, and was driving us crazy with his yowling.  I found out about this website http://www.calmingcollars.com  from ibdkitties.net and bought Jake an herbal calming collar.  Some people use them for a few hours at a time or when they travel or things like that--I leave it on him 24/7 (which is perfectly safe.)   It's been a lifesaver.   He will yell once or twice now around 6 a.m. to remind me it's time for breakfast 
 but then he quits.  He used to start around 4 a.m. and just never stop.  It was maddening.  The collar has been remarkable, I can't believe the difference it's made in him.  Plus now he smells wonderful from the herbs in the collar.  

stina77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have the same problem with our 2nd cat, Lola. She's only just started this behaviour over the last week and it's gradually getting worse each night. She comes up to our in the wee hours of the morning whining and scratching incessantly at our door. She'll stop for a few seconds, then continue. Then she'll walk away, we'll start to drift off, then she's back. I made a point to play with her right before bed, as well. I almost never feed my cats wet food or give them many treats (I don't give them to them on a regular basis in that they expect them at any certain time). We've never let our cats sleep in our bedroom (I can't sleep with the door open and being cats, they love to get on things and knock things down). I'm not sure at all why she's just started this habit and it's quite frustrating as this a behaviour that's hard to live with! I'm trying to work with her and find long-term solutions for this to nip it in the bud!!

I did get pretty desperate last night and finally took Lola downstairs and closed to the door - that helped, couldn't hear a thing. Some may disagree with this tactic - we've tried simply ignoring her for as long as we could stand!

stina77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Stupid me, can't work the quote thing. Anyway, wish I could throw him downstairs. We live in an apartment so we can't do that. :( But I'm confident he'll grow out of it.

Gonna look into that collar. Sounds amazing.

kirstotaylo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I gave in and let my kitten sleep with me. He would still meow at random hours though! He has gotten used to the fact i get up at 6 am for work so will leave me be until then now. This is not cool on my days off mind! Lie in is out the window as he will jump all over me until i wake! I knew what i was getting myself in for when i adopted him though and his cute little face makes it hard to be a morning grump! Haha :) i hope im lucky and he sticks with sleeping through! Iv been playing with him and then feeding him just before lights out :)