My Little Reject

Chestersmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently took in a kitten who was rejected by his mother. He is now just under 2 weeks old and seems to be doing well according to my research and his behavior. I dont have much experience with cats due to allergies...and I assumed they were just to adult cats, but thats not the case! I have decided I will continue to care for him ( Chester Cheetah ) until he is weaned and litter trained, despite the allergies.
My questions are,
How old do you vaccinate?
and
He reacts to me and my voice ...purrs when I hold him. His eyes just opened a couple days ago and he meows loudly when he sees me. Today he actually crawled over and cuddled with my foot when I was giving him exercise time. Is he forming an unhealthy connection with me since I wont be able to keep him?
I only want to do whats best for this precious little one!

Attachments

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If yours just opened his eyes, he's around 6-7 days.
I bottle raised many babies, but I'll mention the last three. I raised them from 10 days to 11 weeks. One is very cuddly, one is only when she wants to be. The other I had to return to the shelter (she had a home waiting - I adopted the other two) but I hear she's doing fine.
I believe yours will be fine in a new home also. It is being socialized to live with humans and will adapt quickly to someone else.
As far as vaccinations, the shelter told me when to bring them in, and I honestly don't remember the age they started to get their core vaccines. Sorry.
Thank you for saving this infant. I saw your post on the other thread, so you know how to properly feed and stimulate. Only I would change the feeding to every two hours for the next two weeks. Then you can go to three hours once it is 3-4 weeks old.
You said you use powdered KMR. Mix that with goats milk instead of water for a more beneficial and filling milk.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There is some evidence that animals get by better in later life if they had a strong an secure attachment to a parental figure as infants and juveniles. So don’t worry, you are bringing your kitten up just right :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! You could pick up a soft "toy" that has a heartbeat, and also to keep him warm, either a sock filled with rice that's heated, or maybe easier a heating pad set to low with a blanket over the pad so it doesn't get too hot.

Here are a couple websites that might help;
Saving Kittens

www.kitten-rescue.com