My little pet peeve

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Quick question then: so if you have a grey (blue) cat, which is a dilute of black, then would the blue cat also have a tabby pattern underneath their fur?

I know Magnus' parents were both black cats. His dad was all black (from what I've been told) and his mother was mostly black with a few white markings (on her chin and on her chest, as well as mittens). His littermate brother is a solid blue.Granted, they all have long hair as well, but I don't think I've ever seen a blue cat (even the ones with shorter fur) with tabby markings showing underneath the fur, no matter what light you have. Is it because the tabby markings are also diluted?

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is that agouti factor. OK Interesting. If it is harder to get a solid red. Then would red be considered domanated by the agouti gene? More so than a black cat?

Thank for this. Clears that jumbled up mess of mine, called my brain. My information was all bunch up in a knot.

Because red color is much lighter than black, it shows the ghost pattern through it more easily. I don't think I've ever seen a solid red cat without at least some degree of ghost pattern (shorthair that is). The closest thing was a ticked tabby, and as ticked looks like no pattern because the hairs are so evenly banded, she looked like a solid red. The face, legs and tail did show more pattern. She ended up having the prettiest black silver ticked tabby BSH granddaughter that I've ever seen. I'm still sad that I was too late and didn't get her.

What kind of a tabby is my Mittens? An agouti. ticked tabby?

Yes, a ticked tabby. (All tabbies are agoutis, so are shaded and chinchillas).

Quick question then: so if you have a grey (blue) cat, which is a dilute of black, then would the blue cat also have a tabby pattern underneath their fur?

I know Magnus' parents were both black cats. His dad was all black (from what I've been told) and his mother was mostly black with a few white markings (on her chin and on her chest, as well as mittens). His littermate brother is a solid blue.Granted, they all have long hair as well, but I don't think I've ever seen a blue cat (even the ones with shorter fur) with tabby markings showing underneath the fur, no matter what light you have. Is it because the tabby markings are also diluted?
It is possible for a solid blue cat to show a ghost pattern, all solid colors may show it (like red, cream is very prone to it). For some reason blue is a bit easier color to breed than black for example, probably because it doesn't fade like black (or then I just think like that because "my breed" is famous for blue colors and they have already reached 'perfection' with it).

I think I remember someone here having a blue cat which had quite clear ghost tabby markings, can't remember who it belong to or if it was a rescue/foster cat. But yes, diluted cats also can show ghost pattern.

meuzettesmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Also for Mittens, from the descriptions I'd guess Ticked but I know nothing :) Pretty eyes
I think the only time you don't learn anything, is when you are dead. I know some. but not enough to be a help.

You know some and learning more. Its fun just to talk about it. You will remember this. Northern Glow is a good teacher.

Thank you for thinking my Mittens has pretty eyes. If he was outside more, he would be a true feral. He is spooky. Yet intelligent.A hunters eye.

Last edited:

meuzettesmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sorry I ment my post to be funny. But after I read it again today. I realize, it is not and could be taken wrong. I had sort of a rough last year and am still settling emotionally. I am not a wacko. Just dealt with too much RL.

I hope you all will still speak to me as we go along.

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I did not take offense to your post; I got what you are saying.

Thanks and I'm sure we will speak many a time on the forum :)