My little girl is turning mean...

maureenl128

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My girl Missy is 2 1/2yrs old. She is used to me being the only one in the house and most of the time, I just let her do her own thing. When I see she's in a playful or good mood, I will of course pet her and throw her toys around. When my husband gets home, she gets nasty towards him. I just ordered 2 Feliway diffusers for my house to try to calm my kitty. My boy Max is a total mush and not like this at all. We also just started introducing a stray into our home that we have been taking care of for about 2 months. We got him fixed and had his shots done. Does anyone think the Feliway will help???? We are taking the introductions very slowly. And I also would like some advice on clipping their nails. Even by the scruff of the neck it's hard to hold Missy still long enough to do it. Any tips???

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How is it, was she always nasty to your husband, or is this something new?

if it is entirely new, it may be stress of some sort, or even something hurting her. Cats in pain dont have their usual patience.

Is your husband cat friendly??  Some arent nasty at all, but they speak in a much stronger voice, and so on...

Anyway, Feliway diffuser is a good try.

The main weapon in such cases is although, let your husband give her food and treats, and clean the litter, as often as possible.

Very effective is if you stay away some days now and then, and your husband is the only one with the cats... Perhaps even taking leave from his job...

Several days together, with only him attending the cats, is a very powerful trick!

So, combine this trick + Feliway, and it should be OK.   :)

Clipping nails may be tricky.

Holding the scruff off the neck is one tip.

One holding tight in the arms, holding the cat down with the chin, and the other doing the clipping is another.

If it is difficult to take all the nails, take only some. Say one paw at a time. And let her go before she is tired.

In difficult cases it often helps to wrap them up in a bath towel.  This way they are helpless, and being helpless, they  become submissive.

Describe your technique, it will be easier to give advices!

Good you are taking all the introductions slowly at their pace... Toghether with the same Feliway should go well.  Although many strays try to adapt to residents so often there arent big deal from theirs.

Good luck!    *vibes*

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maureenl128

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got the Feliway in the mail today and have it plugged in. I think she might be having a ear problem. Her ear has been very dirty and she's been scratching so I am taking her to the vet today. Hopefully she'll feel better after. She has only had her attitude problem lately so I figure it's because of the new kitty. Who by the way, fell asleep in the same room as my friendly boy last night. So at least I know he doesn't want any trouble! As for the nail clipping, I usually try to get her one nail at a time when she's sleeping or laying with me.