My little friend has a nose problem?

eldaah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Since my itty bitty friend had gotten spayed she has had some changes going on with her little nose. Kenzie is about a year and a half. She had her surgery last Friday, and I picked her up Saturday. When I picked her up with my husband, she had a black mark on her nose. This mark wasn't their before and it looked like it was drawn on. We didn't really think much of it because we were told her surgery went well and that we would return on the 28th to check in on her. When we got home I cleaned the black line off her nose with some water-less pet cleaner. She didn't seem to be in pain.  But today is Thursday and her nose is looking well, much different.

<<--how she looks normally. She is on the left.

A couple of days after surgery.

A couple of days after surgery. I'd say...Monday.

Today.

Today.

Today.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eldaah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry for the long post. But any insight would be welcome. I really love my cat, she is my "itty bitty" as I like to call her. 

lvnoah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there,

So I'm not positive what could be causing this, but here are my thoughts . . .

Have you asked your vet what could be causing this?  Which water-less pet bath did you use?  She may have sensitivities or allergies to one of the ingredients.  It could also be contact dermatitis or a fungal infection.  Some cats are allergic to things like plastic.  Was plastic used near her face during her operation? Some pets can't even eat from plastic dishes because they get skin issues. Bug bites can also cause skin reactions like that.

Since it happened so suddenly, it makes me think it's a skin thing.   I have one cat myself, that whenever I bring him home from the vet's office, he always develops pink sores under his nose.  It's a special vet he only sees when he is really sick.  But both times he was there, he needed anesthesia so I wonder if it had something to do with that.  He also came home the second time with an upper respiratory infection.  So cats can definitely catch stuff from vet visits.  Please update if you figure out what's causing it.  I hope everything works out!

Natalie :)

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm thinking the same thing.  Either it was something in the  water-less pet bath you used, or something that touched her face during the surgery.  I would call my Vet and forward a couple of those pictures to them. 

Poor Kenzie
.  Hopefully it isn't bothering her too much.

eldaah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for taking the time to respond! ^_^  I really appreciate your answers. 

I took her to the vet today and they asked if she had rubbed her face on anything when we got home. Kenzie eats from a glass bowl, as do my other pets--I have another cat around her age who is neutered and I also have two dogs that are 3 1/2 years old--mini poodle and maltese.  They all get alone well and sleep next to one another. The vet looked her over and said that it may be possible that she scratched her self at some point after the surgery. He also suggested that if that was the case she may have had some bacteria under her claws and that may have caused the condition. The vet said to just let it flake off and that she should be fine. But we weren't given anything. Just told to let her be and let the nose heal on its own and that it will be bald in that spot after

I don't know though--maybe it is a reaction to the anesthesia? The waterless grooming spray that I used was by Hartz and it's a waterless shampoo that I have used on her before in the past. She didn't exhibit a reaction back then so, I am not sure what to make of what is going on. I think that after the surgery another cat may have been near her. She doesn't get along well with other cats initially and can be hard to handle.  . I will keep an eye on her to see if there are other changes. 

lvnoah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm happy that the vet doesn't think it's anything serious.  I know it can be frustrating now knowing the exact cause.  Having an infected scratch makes sense though especially if she was stressed out from being at the vet.  That could have caused her immune system to be out of whack.  Plus, there are all sorts of bacteria at the vet that her body isn't used to.  Did he think the black mark on her nose was dried blood?  Sometimes blood can look really dark.

Good call about keeping a close eye on it.  I would also watch her for any other behavioral changes.  I hope she feels better soon.  And I forgot to mention earlier, she's completely adorable!  I love the round orange patch around her nose and mouth. 

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd get her to the vet ASAP for a culture to see what's going on.  It doesn't look like it's a fun thing to live with for her and it could even be something contagious.

eldaah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry for the really delayed response. I had a small issue with my mini-poodle. Her anal gland ruptured and I had to get her to the vet hospital. Kenzie's nose is much much better. The old fur fell off and her nose looks healthy. Her new fur is slowly growing in slowly.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, sorry about your dog...hope everything will be ok.  My cat had that happen a couple of years ago, but it healed up very nicely.

Wow, that is just so weird about Kenzie's nose.  Just glad it is clearing up on it's own. 

eldaah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I really wish I was given a clear answer about what had happened while she was under to get that sort of reaction to her nose. But I am glad that she is alright.  Her spay incision has healed very beautifully too. She has lots and lots of energy and is still a cuddle bug, hehe. 

My mini-poodle is doing well. I took off her "cone of shame" since her wound is better. It has scabbed up and she seems to have forgotten anything happened back there. ^_^ I am taking the kids to a follow up vet appt in a couple of days.