My Little Ferals

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You'll be able to see it and smell it.

The other thing you can try is having a regular box of litter - maybe like a plastic storage container so the sides are really tall and just cut down the front a little so it's easy to get in there, but the tall sides on three sides will limit the mess. Have this in addition to the dirt boxes. Scoop out some "dirt pee" and a poop from the dirt box, and put it in the box with litter. One of our kitties switched to using the litter box properly right away after doing this.

I'm so sorry you had to move in such a rush. We had the exact same thing happen to us last year.
That was really wonderful of you to commute to care for the kitties! And I'm so glad you were at least able to nab the kittens.

Laurie

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh - I forgot to add - make sure you clean up any "accidents" that happened outside the litterbox with an enzyme cleaner (Nature's Miracle is available at most pet stores or supermarkets, but use A LOT of it!!!!!!!!!!! ....and you may need to apply it again). An enzyme cleaner is the only thing that will end up making the smell go away from the cats' perspective. After following the instructions, when you get to the part to just leave it to dry, we always cover the area with aluminum foil, to help deter further use of the area. But if they can smell their pee or poop at all, it will continue to encourage them to want to go in that same place.

And all our kitten feral rescues loved playing in the litter box - even though they also used it for a bathroom.

Laurie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alyssa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bless your hearts!

We did some organic potting soil (I was a bit worried about added fertilizers) and BAM. Those kitties were right in there in like 5 minutes. LOL.

Not sure if I had added this link in before... but I'm making them their own set on our puppy's Flickr account:

Feral Kitties on Flickr

We haven't taken any recent pics of them since we trapped them though. Considering naming them Penn and Teller - since the brave one talks and talks and talks and the timid one never utters a mew. LOL.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad you ALL found some relief!

And they are just SO darling! I always wanted a soft grey kitty. Didn't work out that way - but I just love your babies.

Laurie

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catloverin_ks

Aww!! They are precious!
'course, i'm a real sucker for blue cats... they look blue to me, anyway - are they, or are they black?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alyssa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just hoping I can tame them up and get them good homes!