My little boy's growing up

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sadie, I figured out why the Oz Oci's are bigger then the American/Canadian (even if the 1st ones there were our size).

They outcross to their Abys over there and their Abys are bigger then American ones - so it stands to reason you will get larger Oci's within a few generations.

Demetri may be too big for American standards in the rings if shown over here.

And Sadie's the average size for girls - 8-10 lbs

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

).They outcross to their Abys over there and their Abys are bigger then American ones - so it stands to reason you will get larger Oci's within a few generations.
But, that does not explain why ALL cat breeds are bigger here and smaller in Japan.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's easy, the Japanese are smaller people - they can't carry big cats

I don't know Amanda, but it makes sense in my book that bigger abys in the background would produce larger Oci's. I know from ACFA judges who've been to Oz in judging they've mentioned about the size difference in several of the breeds - abys, cornish rexes, orientals.

Japan has always be more fasinated with "small" things - like the bonsai trees - take a normal tree seed and by special pruning you have a miniture tree over the years. So they would extend it to cats, dogs, etc.

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, IMO, regardless of their size and weight, the three of us are so incredibly lucky to have such wonderful Ocis!!!!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very true, but don't forget our newest (2 oci) Ocicat owners in California - he has the M/F Chocolate-Silvers

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Very true, but don't forget our newest (2 oci) Ocicat owners in California - he has the M/F Chocolate-Silvers
I'm so sorry to have forgotten the newest California-based Ocis!!!! My apologies, you're lucky to have Ocis too!

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That's easy, the Japanese are smaller people - they can't carry big cats

I don't know Amanda, but it makes sense in my book that bigger abys in the background would produce larger Oci's. I know from ACFA judges who've been to Oz in judging they've mentioned about the size difference in several of the breeds - abys, cornish rexes, orientals.

Japan has always be more fasinated with "small" things - like the bonsai trees - take a normal tree seed and by special pruning you have a miniture tree over the years. So they would extend it to cats, dogs, etc.
Ahhhh - but here's the kicker - why is it that Maine Coons are more or less the same size all over the world?