My little baby!

tru87

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Whats up!???

I just have a few questions about behavior..

My little kitten is about 1 month old, I adopted her last night..

From the minute I met her, she was feelin' safer and safer around me. She was in a private animal shelter run but my friend with about 7 other cats who are all spayed/neutered/fed/vaccinated... so anyway, since last night... she's been so active, she's eating well drinking well.. her stool is perfectly fine... she's sleepin' ... nothing is wrong from that side but!

She bites me alot! and i know she's playing because she toses and turns shes not scratching me, just bites me then she might stop and suddenly start licking me! she will play with my finger, if I try and get her to reach it, shell stand on two legs and try and jump to catch my finger... she'll be so exited to see me when I come to her and any other person.. she's a bit recovered.. so my question is... biting me is a normal thing? I was told, this is a sign that she feels safe around me and she's training her teeth!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your kitten is four weeks old and on solid food already?
Biting is a perfectly normal response. You are her mom now, and she will bite and scratch you, probably crawl up your legs a few times, bite your ankles when you are sleeping. She only is responding to instinct and if her mom was in the picture (as she should be at this age) her mom would be the one who would teach her that inapproapriate biting is wrong. Mom bites back and hisses at her youngsters when they get to rough.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tru87

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

Your kitten is four weeks old and on solid food already?
Biting is a perfectly normal response. You are her mom now, and she will bite and scratch you, probably crawl up your legs a few times, bite your ankles when you are sleeping. She only is responding to instinct and if her mom was in the picture (as she should be at this age) her mom would be the one who would teach her that inapproapriate biting is wrong. Mom bites back and hisses at her youngsters when they get to rough.
Her Mother either died or abanonded her. She was found alone in a corner of my University and taken by my friend who's been helping the cats of my Uni' ever since she was little girl and now she's a grown woman. If we could by any means give her back to her Mother we would, but there is no Mom. She's an oprhan. She's better here with me, with the love and attention then alone at night in an animal shelter. Everything they were doing for her there, i'm doing for her here but with the execption of the fact she has me to care for her.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would be supplementing her with KMR if she were mine as well as adding some stuff in the formula to help her with growth, GSE and liquid vitamins. 4 week olds are usually still on bottle feedings.

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Biting is perfectly normal - My 6 week old has been trying out her teeth on me and thinks biting my inner thigh is funny!! She also likes to bat me with her little itty bitty paws!! You just have to let them know what is innappropriate. Trying hissing at her when she hurts too much or yelping to let her know you are in pain!!

Good on you for taking in this little one!! It is very rewarding for both you and her!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tru87

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

I would be supplementing her with KMR if she were mine as well as adding some stuff in the formula to help her with growth, GSE and liquid vitamins. 4 week olds are usually still on bottle feedings.
Well my friend has had her on a forumla every since she still couldn't see, but the Vet decided this cat is some how ready to eat solid food. She's also had her first de-worming medication.