my life is strange

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A couple of weird things have happened the last few days. They weren't very fun when they happened but maybe make for good stories...

First thing, our car had a recall notice so I made an appointment to get it fixed at the dealership. Long story short, after 3 hours in the waiting room the car had still not been looked at, I spoke with the manager, and was given a loner car to run errands for the afternoon. 

It was a new model, nice, except for the smell. I have a pretty keen sense and can smell things others might not, and I smell them before most people do. How can I say this on a family site? It smelled like a couple of newlyweds had spent their honeymoon in it! Very distinctive smell(s), no mistaking it, OMG I was pretty grossed out and burned my clothes and boiled my skin when I got home. (Not really but I did have a shower.)

Second thing, I was at the main branch of a major bank yesterday (on Halloween). I waited there thirty minutes! (oops that's not the story). 

Anyway, I was bored and people-watching outside through the glass doors when I saw two tall guys in full gorilla suits (head to toe), walk in to the bank side-by-side. With all the signs on the door of the bank asking patrons to remove sunglasses and hoods, this was a rather alarming sight! What better way to rob a bank than in costume on Halloween? The two men made no effort to remove the costume head pieces which covered their entire heads. 

I felt my heart skip a beat as my eyes immediately fell to their hands, I was fully expecting to see weapons there and knew I would be the very first in their line of fire.  They were not holding guns, thankfully, but still weren't taking off the masks. Of course I was still watching them because the bulky outfits could easily hide weapons. 

Nothing happened and no one approached them. They got in line behind me, and turned to the entry kiosk nearby and one of them asked, "Should we take the hoods off?" And the person behind the desk said, "Oh yeah, probably you should."

OMG if these two pulled something like that in the U.S., they would have been taken down to the floor within seconds of entering the bank! There were no security guards in the bank at all. I like that Canadians are a gentler people, but I'm very safety conscious and stuff like this freaks me out.

What strange days, wish I could just stay home today.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good question! 

They were complaining that in the last store they went to, the people freaked out. So I guess they decided to go to a bank next, while wearing masks.

Last edited:

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Huh. l guess it must be a Canadian thing (tho' l'm English) because l'd have thought it was fun to see a couple of adults out and about all dressed up. We get the odd few people out here in full dress all day, but it's usually limited to evening. Businesses here ask for people to show up in costume and pick up a treat - not sure about banks though, that is a little different.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The lady who works at the bank came into the Post Office to get the mail wearing a zombie Elvis costume :tongue2:. Probably the other employees dressed up too. But I don't know what would happen if the bank customers came in wearing masks. Huh, never thought of it really.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Sometimes some of the people in our building will dress for Halloween. One of my co-workers came in on Thursday looking like a lumberjack/Paul Bunyan. And he was adorable. He had the pencil stuff on his face for a beard, the jeans, flannel shirt, and his sweater cap (what are the called?). You have to understand that he's short, really short. So to come in as Paul Bunyan....well, you get it. And he was just so cute. He said it was the best he could do in a hurry, but he did well. He even had his axe with him. 

His wife and little girls came in later on after school; they were dressed-up, too. I remembered to bring a few candy bars in to give to them. 

Sad to say, though, if anybody came into a bank dressed up like that, I'd leave. Fast.

As for the loaner car? 
 Ew. Just ew!

Last edited:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I noticed that Halloween really brought out more strange/creepy people this year.