My landlord is a big jerk!!! (long rant)

sunnicat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some of those issues are dangerous ones, i.e. the smoke detectors. I hope you can find some laws and/or agency to help you in this matter. If you take it up yourself, you're right, the end result will be them making life harder on you. It just sounds like the way they work!

blue_monday_88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Loveysmummy

However, this doesn't help me when the owners says its our fault for clogging the drain...::censor::censor::censor::
OH OH! That was another thing I wanted to address (but forgot in my horror stories LOL)...the clogged drain...now I normally have to unclog my drain using Drano or Liquid Plumr about once a month because of hair clogs (between my boyfriend and I, you'd think we had ZZTop beards for hair)...but we know that is our fault so we don't even bother the mgmt company.

However, it sounds like there is an underlying thing going on that really *should* be their responsibility (e.g. the neighbor complaining about her ceiling dripping, etc) and really shouldn't be your problem.

Oh and incidentally I found out why our current landlord/property management people don't want to do anything -- b/c of grandfathering laws, the lowest rent paid in the building is $225 per month and we pay the highest rent on the books (we didn't do our due diligence on it, or we would have been paying like $700 per month...but we still get a good deal on it)...anyway, there is NO MONEY in this building for the owner so it's really not beneficial for him to make any long-lasting repairs. The problem is, people like my boyfriend and I complain because, well heck we certainly pay for it! But we are probably the only people who complain b/c all of the lifers who were there...have no room. They pay nothing and they know it.

Anyway, we found out our building is getting condo'd out, not soon but in the imminent future. The prices he is asking for are astronomical. We know we would NOT pay what he would ask for, for the apt we currently live. It's nuts. But we know that the people who live there would NEVER be able to afford them. It kinda sucks.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you all have pretty bad landlords...........
My landlady was wonderful! She understood when we couldnt pay on the day, and repaired anything that needed to be fixed immedietely.
She gave us this cat shield thing for the windows for when we moved.

My new landlord likes us also, and is pretty understanding. But he is a bit more mean, if we cant pay by the 10th then we are out!

cyberkitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Where I live - tho I am not there at the moment (in La helping out) - the local fire dept provides free smoke detectors. If I were you or your friend, I would just but one or all the dept. It is not worth anyone's life NOT to have one. And yep, it may be the landlord's responsibility but if you buy one, you can take it with you.

jadedlaw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would suggest looking at the terms of your rental agreement to see exactly what it says with respect to repairs, whose duty it is to repair what. Also, look to see if the agreement provides a time requirement as to when those repairs must be done. It is possible that under the laws of where you are, or if provided under your rental agreement, that if the landlord fails to timely make the repairs that are require of them, that you can pay for the repairs and then subtract it from your rent. Also, at least here in the States, there is such a thing as constructive eviction if the conditions are so bad as a result of the landlord's failure to repair. I would look into it. Do a landlord/tenant law search of Canada.

Good luck with it!

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hated renting as well and I don't like living in old buildings, including my current house, but that's not going to last long. I think condo living is better. You get together with the condo board and make sure stuff gets done. There's more motivation for everyone to maintain when they have ownership.