My kitty's throwing up--what can I do to help?

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear he ate a little and kept it down! I guess depending on how much longer he goes without pooing (not sure I'd wait much longer, personally), you may want to bring him back to the vet for an enema. They are quick, inexpensive and oftentimes do the trick to help break up what may be already hard and compacted in his colon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stealthkitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, he has been peeing regularly. I suspect his excessive thirst might be a side effect of the medication.

I think that what I'll do is try giving him a little mineral oil, and if he doesn't go by tomorrow we can call the vet and ask what to do.

Should I give him the mineral oil on an empty stomach, or what? And since I'll be giving him an antibiotic and prednisolone, should I wait a certain time period after he's had his pills before giving him the oil?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, he has been peeing regularly. I suspect his excessive thirst might be a side effect of the medication.

I think that what I'll do is try giving him a little mineral oil, and if he doesn't go by tomorrow we can call the vet and ask what to do.

Should I give him the mineral oil on an empty stomach, or what? And since I'll be giving him an antibiotic and prednisolone, should I wait a certain time period after he's had his pills before giving him the oil?
Yes, the oil may interfere with the absorption of the medicine. I'd make sure to give it several hours after / before any meds. :nod:

...and I'm not sure how much good an enema would do if the problem is helping him pass something that doesn't belong in his colon. Now that he's eating, maybe food will help push it through. But he's been on just fluids for long enough, I very much doubt there's any compacted poop build-up to flush out. :dk:

If the mineral oil doesn't get things moving... I'd consider getting petroleum jelly. But definitely, ask the vet. :nod:

:vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

stealthkitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The oil did the trick! I gave him 1/2 tsp at 11 o'clock last night, and at 7 this morning he made a rather large deposit!

And he's slowly coming around back to his old self. Now, if only Tiramisu would stop hissing at him for smelling like the vet!

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hooray! Hopefully he got it all out of his system. As for the hissing, just mingle their scents as much as possible (use the same towel or a brush on them both).

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh thank goodness! I know you're "relieved" too!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:banana1: :banana2: :banana1:

:woohoo:

:bigthumb: GREAT news! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Do you have any vanilla? You can dab a little onto a cloth and rub BOTH cats with it. This may help with the hissing. :)

:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: he's over the hump, and it's all downhill from here!

stealthkitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We only have imitation vanilla extract, but instead I rubbed Tiramisu with a couple of drops of the mineral oil since the vet was pretty sloppy when he gave it to Honey Pie and there's traces of it on his fur still (even after giving him a good bath). I figured it was a little something I could do to make them smell alike, and I think it's helped a bit. Tiramisu is still hissing, but is getting comfortable with sharing our bed with Honey Pie and even eating treats near him.

When we brought him home on Wednesday, that evening we had put Misu in the back room to keep him from attacking or stressing HP. At one point, Honey Pie was sitting next to the door and making that curious trilling sound that only a cat can do best. It was like he was calling to his friend and asking why he was getting shunned.
Now Honey Pie just looks at him dejectedly when he hisses. It's sad, but at the same time there's a bit of humor in what drama queens cats can be--especially since Misu is usually such a scaredy cat and a big baby!

ETA: And we've been brushing both cats and rubbing them with the same towel. Little by little we'll get there...

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:hugs: I'm just SO thankful none of our cats seem to have a problem with someone smelling like "vet." They are curious, and will sniff up the vet-smelling cat, but that's it.

:rub: I'm sure things will be back to normal soon. :)

stealthkitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
 You are lucky! Our little Tiramisu is, how shall I say, not the brightest lightbulb.
He's a total sweetheart, but one of his cogs seems to be missing a tooth!