My kitty woes

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Last Thursday we lost 3 year old Tempest to severe constipation, the vet thought it might have been Ileus. He was given enema's and parrafin but nothing. I rushed him to the vet when I found him lying apathically and they did every thing they could but he breathed a big sigh 2 hours after I brought him and passed.

Now 7 year old Kumal has stopped eating. He was always a worry, a few years back he had these sores on his front legs and around his face, we seemed to have resolved them with prednisolon but he was always skinny on his back. I've already contacted my vet but I fear I might lose Kumal as well..That's 3 cats in less than 2 months....even though Adam's symptoms were unrelated to constipation..

I have recently changed the food around per suggestion on here. Concept for life sensitive(new) mixed with Smilla Urinary(they already had that), we notice the cats are not eating as much as they used to, what we set down in the morning is usually still there when we want to set new down in the evening. They're whiny and clingy.

Could Tempest and Kumal's illness be explained by the change in food?

In 2017 I had an epidemic of cats with calcium oxylate stones because of a change in food so I wonder....

Lumiafan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First and foremost, I'm so sorry to hear about Tempest. I can't speak to whether or not the food might be the cause, but I have heard that cats losing their cohabitants can lose their appetite, act lethargic, become more needy, etc., because they're basically mourning their friends. Is it possible Kumal is still just upset rather than anything being physically wrong?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
First and foremost, I'm so sorry to hear about Tempest. I can't speak to whether or not the food might be the cause, but I have heard that cats losing their cohabitants can lose their appetite, act lethargic, become more needy, etc., because they're basically mourning their friends. Is it possible Kumal is still just upset rather than anything being physically wrong?
Kumal is in a completely different group of the house. I did move Tempest to a cage located in that part, because I have heatmats and everything there, plus easier to monitor.
But they didn't interact so sadly it's not mourning

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
When you change up their food and they slow down in their eating, I would say it could definitely be that they don't like the new food. Have you tried giving him just the old food for awhile to see what happens? I would start there and see if he eats more. If he does, then you know it's the food. If he doesn't, try feeding him a completely new food (possibly a stinky wet food) to see if you get get his appetite jump started.

Even though your cats didn't really interact, I'm guessing Kumal still is aware that Tempest is "missing". Cats are very sensitive emotionally and since you mentioned they are whiny and clingy, this does sound like he is missing Tempest.

My sympathies on the loss of Tempest :rbheart:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, I'm so sorry.

Going forward can you work out a system so that you know each cat is urinating and pooping as they should, with multiple litterboxes and cameras if necessary?

This can help as well, since it sounds like your cats don't like the new food. Are you monitoring their weight?

Tips To Increase Your Cat’s Water Intake – TheCatSite Articles

This is from todaysveterinarynurse .com ;
making sure all water bowls are cleaned daily may encourage water consumption. Circulating water fountains can be provided for cats that like to drink running or dripping water, and multiple water bowls should be offered throughout the home. Also, the size and depth of water bowls may need to be considered, and different types of water (e.g., distilled, warm, cold) may need to be tried.

Along with mrsgreenjeans suggestions, for Kumal try something here;
Any Good Tips To Get Your Cats To Eat? Share Them Here!

Also, cat music may calm your furry crew.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I brought back a food I had before, Purina One. It's expensive and not sure how good it is but the cats already love the addition and are eating more and not meowing so much.
The food, I'm thinking the Smilla Urinary(it's now called Kidney Care and the Urinary is now Veterinary Diet and more expensive), changed because the manufacturer did. I then mixed Smilla with Concept For Life because the Sanabelle also got expensive and someone on here said Concept was comparable but I had not accounted for the Smilla to be so different.
It's not the first time by the way. Back in 2017 I fed Smilla solely and had an explosion of cats(females only) with bladder issues. But I didn't lose any cats then...

Kumal has been getting subcutaneous fluids and slight force feeding with Nutrigel, Hill's Id and liquid snacks and just now he ate some food(just the purina one) on his own. Drank some water. He's definitely not out of the woods but these are hopeful signs.

I have to clarify by the way, Kumal and Tempest were in completely different parts of the house. I have multiple kitty groups with the 2 largest being 20(now 19😭) and 16 cats. Tempest was at the front of the house and Kumal lives at the back. So far no other kittys are getting sick🤞

But this experience has left me shaken to the core..I always thought I knew so much about cats, I was sure Tempest had UTI and I feel like I failed him. Miss him so much, his minecraft kitty meows, his begging for potato chips.....Plus it seems I'm taking in cats only for them to get sick and die on me, like Adam..That's not what I want, I want them to live long happy lives....