My Kitty Is Sick. How Long Does It Take For Meds To Work?

leahnicole

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!
My 13 year old kitty is sick. She has diarrhea and sometimes it is explosive even when she is sleeping or walking through the house. I took her to the vet last Friday (08/30/19) They found worms and went ahead and dewormed her. They did bloodwork on her and thankfully everything came back good! They gave me Metronidazole to give to her once a day. I was wondering if anyone has ever given their kitty this medicine? Her diarrhea is better but it is still there. I woke up this morning and her bottom and face had dry poo on it. :( I cleaned her up, but her poor bottom is so raw and swollen from the diarrhea. Any information about this med and suggestions for her would be welcome. Thank you!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
MOST medications at least begin to work within 3 days, but can take 5-10 days to fully resolve symptoms. And even then, the underlying condition might not be completely cured, which is why it is so important to give ALL of the prescribed medicines! If she is beginning to improve today, the third full day of meds, I think you are headed in the right direction.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Totally agree with Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 !

You could try treating her behind with chamomile tea (tea bags from a grocery store, which are generally German - you don't want English, and no additives). Brew a bag, cool the liquid, and then use cotton balls to dab it on - 2-3 times daily. The tea has both soothing and healing properties. It is safe for her to lick it.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am using metronidazole right now for diarrhea, just as you describe, on a cat who also has a sore behind from both the diarrhea and licking. This is a prescription that I have used numerous times on dogs and cats and have never had a problem with it if that is what you meant. For my cat now, it is a first step after lots of tests and we are not sure it is the solution, but that is not a reflection on the medication, just the extent of what might be wrong with the cat.

We did a fecal on my cat and there were not any worms. If there had been it would be a more optimistic prognosis. I agree that you should see improvement in about 3 days but need to give the entire course of the meds. The brand name of metronidazole is Flagyl and it is commonly used in people as well.

Worst interaction can occur with alcohol, but I assume that is not a risk in a cat.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We use metro when our little boy's poops get out of control. It usually works within 3 days. If you're not seeing any improvement, call your vet. You might also need some tummy food to help calm down the gastro tract.