my kitty crys and crys when i leave house even if im right outfront, brakes my heart

shootsielove11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is this normal, is she sad and doesn't want to be alone? She is an indoor kitty (i say kitty because she's a little over 4months). Should I get her a friend? I love her to death, it brakes my heart, she follows me from room to room, I feel like she hates being alone. But I've had cats all my life and usually they cope with or even like their alone time after a bit. So I need some advice, please help. Not sure if I'm using this right just joined the sight

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shootsielove11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is an indoor kitty because I live on a bossy road, and its to dangerous to let her out. I can't let anything happen to her. I've always had outdoor cats so the indoor thing is new to me. I feel bad and want her to be able to explore the outdoors, so I got a cat leash and tale her outside a lot. I don't know if that's why she crying because she wants to go out or what? But she also crys if I shut the bathroom door when I go in there (so I let her in haha).

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is normal for her to cry, she just wants to follow you. But you can't let her out, it is too dangerous. The leash is really good. My cats cries like that too whenever I shut the door in between me and them. It is normal. You could always get another kitty to keep her company. She may still cry, but she might like a companion too. If you add a cat, you probably want to get a friendly boy kitty. I don't know your kitty's age. She sounds a little bit like the princess of the house, so you don't want a cat that will try to be dominant with her :-).

shootsielove11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is a little over 4months. She is a princess for sure. I hate thinking when I'm gone that she's lonely that's why I was thinking of getting her a friend. I figure she's young enough to introduce another cat into the picture, but I don't want to offend her ethier lol. Thank you for the advice :)

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, a kitty that age definitely needs a playmate! You should look for a non-dominant other kitten. If you go to a rescue group, tell them you are looking for a non-dominant male kitten. They should be able to tell you about a kitten's personality by the age of 4-6 months. Since your girl is a princess, you don't want a super dominant cat that will bully her. Ideal would be a male kitty, confident but not dominant, who she can play with and who will groom her and be her buddy :-).

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But she also crys if I shut the bathroom door when I go in there (so I let her in haha).
Sorry, but that just reinforces the behaviour.  

Get a second kitty only if you want to and most importantly can afford to, don't do it for your cat. 

shootsielove11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok so my friend has a 9week old kitten that needs a home. I want shootsie to have a friend but I don't want her to be mad at me ethier as she is the princess. Is this kitty to young? Should I get her ? I just want shootsie to be happy

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it were me, I would talk to your friend about doing a trial adoption, i.e. you take the kitten and see how it goes with your cat. Some cats really do not like kittens, the mews and crying really upsets them. Your cat will hiss at first but should show interest pretty quickly if she is going to warm up to the kitten. It sounds, based on your description, that your cat will like the kitten so long as it is not a "dominant holy terror" kitten LOL and you will be able to tell if it tries to beat up your kitty all the time LOL. 

Honestly though, 9 weeks is pretty darn young. If your friend still has the mom cat with that kitten, I would NOT adopt that kitten for another 2-3 weeks. This is the time when they are getting all their training from their mom, and you need to let the mom cat do all her work to make sure you get a well behaved kitten. 

Plus the kitten needs to be tested, vetting, and all that too :-) before it comes into contact with your cat. Kittens can carry diseases and appear perfectly healthy. And like missymotus said, I'm assuming you can afford it and you also would like to add the kitten :-). 

shootsielove11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes that was the first thing I had in mind (getting her checked). And I feel 9 weeks is a little young, that's when I got my kitty and I deff believe she coulda used another week or two with her mom. My kitty is very happy when we are home but is feel much better if she had a companion while we were at work. Thank you so much for the advice it really is so helpful. One last question if/when I get the KITTEN should I keep them seperate when I go to work?

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would get the kitten on a friday night or before whatever is your work weekend so you will have time to observe them together (after waiting until it is a little bit older LOL). I think by the end of the weekend you will know whether or not you need to separate them. I don't think you will have to keep them separate though. It will actually be good for them to have each other when you are not there, and this is when they will be more curious about each other. If you saw anything that would make you concerned though, about them being together, you could see about borrowing a cage or a large dog crate from somebody and putting the kitten in there with a litter box. Then your kitty and the kitten could explore each other and see each other and interact from a position of safety. 

The good thing about a kitten is that your cat won't be terribly threatened- more annoyed probably- because of its size being non-threatening. And the kitten will be scared, but is really too young to understand serious danger. That is why I think it will be ok for them to not be separated. I wouldn't say the same if it were two adults- they would need proper introductions and you'd need to really watch them at first. 

Last edited: