My Kitties First Heat

Shadowmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My baby Shadow is in heat for the first time she just turned 10 months on January 17th she went in heat on the 16th. I've noticed she's not eating or drinking hardly anything, I also realized her litter box had been empty until I looked behind the curtain and seen the surprises of poop she left me! I'm not sure if she's peeing in other places though. I also recently just got a new puppy whom she seems to love and get along with well I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the behavior or what. I love her so much and she never acts like this until she went in heat. PLEASE HELP I don't want to get rid of her I've had her since she was little I love her dearly but if the behavior continues I will get rid of her. I know she needs spayed and I planned on doing it the end of the month but she came in heat. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! TIA!!

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi shadowmommy! First of all, welcome to TCS!

Shadow's heat shouldn't last much longer than 5-6 days, so I would set an appointment to get her spayed immediately after. But more importantly, please keep her indoors only and away from any intact males. Cats in heat are desperate to escape and mate, so block off any way she could get outside.

She's probably driving you crazy now with calling, but it will end soon. She can go back into heat soon after this one ends though, so don't delay getting her spayed!

Maxxwell

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's probably just because she's in heat hopefully she'll go back to her normal self after the heat. But definitely get her spayed ASAP with all the extra hormones rushing through it can start to change her behavior and attitude sometimes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Shadowmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi shadowmommy! First of all, welcome to TCS!

Shadow's heat shouldn't last much longer than 5-6 days, so I would set an appointment to get her spayed immediately after. But more importantly, please keep her indoors only and away from any intact males. Cats in heat are desperate to escape and mate, so block off any way she could get outside.

She's probably driving you crazy now with calling, but it will end soon. She can go back into heat soon after this one ends though, so don't delay getting her spayed!
Thank you! Surprisingly she hasn't tried to run outside! She's terrified of being out there I think its because I live on a busy highway and she's never been outside a day in her life! The day she comes out of heat she's getting spayed, believe me lol. She's been driving me and my boyfriend insane!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Shadowmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's probably just because she's in heat hopefully she'll go back to her normal self after the heat. But definitely get her spayed ASAP with all the extra hormones rushing through it can start to change her behavior and attitude sometimes.
Her attitude has changed completely, she's usually sweet and loving and DYING for attention and she eats a ton. But she hasn't really ate and she won't let me give her love she acts like she hates it. I want my sweet baby back.

Maxxwell

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Her attitude has changed completely, she's usually sweet and loving and DYING for attention and she eats a ton. But she hasn't really ate and she won't let me give her love she acts like she hates it. I want my sweet baby back.
That can be a combination of the heat and her age she is in her "teenage" stage a lot of cats become a little distant and more independent. But luckily spayed cats grow out of that fairly quickly since they don't have the added hormones egging them on.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
we had a stray cat come to our house a few years ago, neighbors moved and left her :( I set up a vet visit, but she went into heat 2 days after we took her in. we waited a week or so, it was hell. Then she would go in and out of heat for the next week or so. Our vet said she could do the surgery while in heat, its a bit more difficult but normally safe, and she charged a bit more, but the cat was fine, not a problem one.