my kitties breeds

kelli711

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Both of my cats are rescues ,just curious what breeds they could possibly be

he is a fairly large cat, everyone tells me he is so big, he is big but I don't feel like he is gigantic, he is obviously a mix but of what I don't know, any suggestions?He is also very heavy but not really fat more kinda husky, has a little bit of a belly but not much.He has silkier fur  not rough fur,very affectionate and social.He greets new people doesn't run from them.He is also a big cuddler and very attached to me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kelli711

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What breed is my kitten in this picture.

she is probably mixed as well but just curious , I guess she is calico van coloring from what  I read, not sure if she is a turkish van or something else.Just curious any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Both of my cats are rescues ,just curious what breeds they could possibly be

he is a fairly large cat, everyone tells me he is so big, he is big but I don't feel like he is gigantic, he is obviously a mix but of what I don't know, any suggestions?He is also very heavy but not really fat more kinda husky, has a little bit of a belly but not much.He has silkier fur  not rough fur,very affectionate and social.He greets new people doesn't run from them.He is also a big cuddler and very attached to me.
A hot possibility is is a natural son to a Maine Coon.   A mix out of a maine coon will be someting alike this.

Tabby is dominant, so he will be tabby as most Maine Coons are tabbies.

Long hair is recessive, so he will prob be shorthaired  (depends also on moms genes)

He will be bigger than average...

fluffy nebelung

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!

Your kitten would be considered to have tabby van patterns if there was only color on the head, tail, and possibly a small dash on or near the shoulders.

But it looks to have other blotches of color on it as well, so it is considered to have harlequin markings. :)

High-gradient white.

Hope this helps!

kelli711

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
interetsing,she has the 2 spots on her back other than her tail and head and that's it,otherwise all white

kelli711

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
she would technically still be a calico though correct?her couple spots she does has including her tail and ears  of course  are black with brown in them, the brown is showing more as she gets bigger I've noticed

fluffy nebelung

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not necessarily. ^^

Calicoes are tricolor, meaning they have white, and then black (or blue/brown/etc.) and red (orange/cream/etc.) patches.

They are primarily white, but not as white as your kitten.

From what I can tell, she is a brown tabby.

Tabby markings are the 'M' on the forehead (if not blotched out by all the white!), 1 - 2 lines connecting from either side of the face to the corner of the eye, and stripes/spots/dots/blotches on the sides. Now since she is covered in white, it may be a bit difficult to tell what type of tabby she is. But she is definitely a tabby!

kelli711

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Intresting.was just curious. Both of them are unique

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Re the little one.   Technically his pattern is a Harlequin, with these extra spots on the back.    But I think he can still be counted as a Van patterned.   In some associations - in UK (GCF?)

the do allowe some extra spots on their Turkish Vans....

Thereby not said she is a Turkish Van.   The breed is rather rare, but the pattern isnt the most common, but not unique at all,   and happens in many countries.   Also, te gene is fairly strong, so a Van patterned mom often gets all kittens whom are van patterned too, even if we KNOW she is a true moggie, and the father wasnt no Van.   As long as he isnt no tabby - tabby gene is even more dominant.

kelli711

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
interesting thoughts, eithewr way I love both their looks