My Kittens sleep will sleep anywhere but their cat beds

macyaji

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I purchased 4 different cat beds for my two kittens but they never sleep on cat beds; They will only use it for "kneading". My kittens will sleep anywhere- on floor, chair, couch, behind the TV...etc, their favorite sleeping spot is under the couch or in Amazon cardboard boxes. They especially love to sleep in small boxes, the smaller the better for them. Is there a way to make them sleep on the cat beds? I imagine it would be more comfortable for them to sleep on cat beds. Forgot to mention all 4 cat beds are different, one looks like cave, two looks like boxes and last one is a regular bed for cats/dogs.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat really doesn't use her beds much until winter when it starts getting colder out and she wants to snuggle up and be cozy. Otherwise, the flatter the surface the better! She loves those Chewy boxes too, but she doesn't quite fit in them, so I taped 2 together and it's one of her favorite spots. Cardboard scratching boards are also a popular napping place.

There is one bed that she likes pretty much year round, but that's only because I turned it upside down so she sleeps on the smooth nylon side.

Last edited:

molly22

Country girl living the life with my furry friends
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can't tell you how many beds I've bought thinking my cats will love them. This pic sums it up. None of my cats have ever slept in the brown bed. It looks so cozy to me...

molly22

Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat really doesn't use her beds much until winter when it starts getting colder out and she wants to snuggle up and be cozy. Otherwise, the flatter the surface the better! She loves those Chewy boxes too, but she doesn't quite fit in them, so I taped 2 together and it's one of her favorite spots. Cardboard scratching boards are also a popular napping place.

There is one bed that she likes pretty much year round, but that's only because I turned it upside down so she sleeps on the smooth nylon side.
It cracks me up that she had only sleeps on the smooth side. Too bad we couldn't know their thought process.

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't tell you how many beds I've bought thinking my cats will love them. This pic sums it up. None of my cats have ever slept in the brown bed. It looks so cozy to me...
I literally laughed out loud at this photo [emoji]128569[/emoji][emoji]128569[/emoji] Yup, that's a photographic summary of what cats think of cat beds [emoji]128569[/emoji]

molly22

Adult Cat
Purraise
I literally laughed out loud at this photo [emoji]128569[/emoji][emoji]128569[/emoji] Yup, that's a photographic summary of what cats think of cat beds [emoji]128569[/emoji]
Exactly! He didn't even fit in the litter box but apparently the cozy soft bed is made of pure evil [emoji]128514[/emoji]

govtlawyer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Seems to me he has a different idea as to what "cozy" means.  You are anthropomorphizing.  That is attributing human traits to animals.  It is very common to do that, but you need to realize that you are.  He is more wild animal than human.  He might very well prefer a wooden plank nailed to a wall, 8 feet high.  9I'm sure he appreciates the effort, however.  OOPS, I just did it.  A cat doesn't appreciate - that's a human trait.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a cat for you.
  Angel would rather sleep in our bed with me than a cat bed.

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
my experience is that maybe when it's cold a cat may sleep in a cat bed, but often not even then.  till recently, HK has preferred to sleep on uneven and sometimes hard surfaces.  a pile of several books, not a stack, is his idea of a great place to sleep, despite a corner of a book poking into his side.  or he'll like on the hardwood floor with part of him on a several inch tall box or one of my husband's shoes.  i've seen him sleep on the floor with one of the shoes in his middle area, the top and bottom of him and his legs on the floor.  cat beds?  never had one he'd use more than a few times.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Maybe it's pretty normal for them to do that.
I bought my boy a cat bed, he slept in there just twice. Once when it was new and second time when he had a fever. Other then that, he'll be sleeping in my wardrobe, on top of my wardrobe, under the ironing board, in the sink, in the toilet, under the bed, under my sofa, on my coffee table, on his cat tree and at night on my bed :lol3: