My kitten’s ear tip is folding back

gcasareto

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I have just rescued this little cat 3 weeks ago who had a fungus ear infection which is starting to fade after medication (Ketoconazole ointment)… all of a sudden his right ear’s tip is starting to fold back.

Can this be a reaction to Ketoconazole? Is it hereditary?

Is there a way to fix this?

Will it be permanent or will the ear go back to its normal shape?

Thanks!

EA20FFF4-9073-403E-B6D2-24128E662DF2.jpeg

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! Thank you for rescuing this adorable little baby. I do have an adult male cat who appeared on my property as an adult whose ears are both like this. His name is Spock, for obvious reasons, and I will attach a pic of him. His health is fine, and there have never been any signs of any problem with his ears. However, I am not ignoring your question.

This is from a previous question on TCS about curled ears. One suggestion is that long term use of steriods will cause it, but Ketoconazole is an anti fungal I believe and not a steriod. Another suggestion is that it is genetic and is only related to the curling ear.
Why Are My Kitten’s Ears Starting To Curl?

Are you noticing any other issue with the kitten? Definitely ask your vet, especially in a kitten so young, just in case there is another underlying cause.
Spock.jpg