My Kitten's claws

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Listen to Jackson Galaxy's views on it.  He's the Cat Daddy and solves lots of problems.   Have you ever watched "My Cat From Hell" on Animal Planet?  You can find old episodes on YouTube also.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Note*

Declawing is only done on front paws, and would not affect things much if it's the rear claws that are drawing blood.

To remove rear claws us tantamount to abuse, imo because then then have no way to itch a scratch or kill fleas. It makes them prone to falling off items because even if the cat only digs in a little, they still need that little extra bit. You wonr believe the difference trimming rear claws makes. Let 'em whine. My cat whines too. Just do it gently, get the cat used to you touching their feet. I trim Robins back claws when he sleeps, and he doesn't even notice anymore.

kkoerner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Note*

Declawing is only done on front paws, and would not affect things much if it's the rear claws that are drawing blood.

To remove rear claws us tantamount to abuse, imo because then then have no way to itch a scratch or kill fleas. It makes them prone to falling off items because even if the cat only digs in a little, they still need that little extra bit. You wonr believe the difference trimming rear claws makes. Let 'em whine. My cat whines too. Just do it gently, get the cat used to you touching their feet. I trim Robins back claws when he sleeps, and he doesn't even notice anymore.
The cat at our shelter, that has been returned for litter box issues twice, was declawed on all four feet :(

She uses the box at the shelter but in a home, stops. I feel so bad for her.

Last edited:

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cat at our shelter, that has been returned for litter box issues twice, was declawed on all four feet :(

She uses the box at the shelter but in a home, stops. I feel so bad for her.
Aw. I bet she had a bad experience after declaw surgery. Not that there's a good experience for any cat. But they can SEE their front paws, at least. She must had stuff stick on her wounds. Or maybe she has phantom pains. I hate to say it, but Robin has phantom pains time to time, he shakes his feet in the cold. [emoji]128532[/emoji][emoji]128532[/emoji][emoji]128532[/emoji] I wish I could take it back. [emoji]128532[/emoji][emoji]128532[/emoji][emoji]128532[/emoji]

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@KKoerner, I have had a lot of luck with two types of litter for declawed cats with litter box aversion.  One is sWheatScoop which is made of wheat and almost as soft as flour, and the other is Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract Litter, which is a clay litter but very fine.  You can also buy the Cat Attract herbs separately and sprinkle them into the sWheatScoop.  I would say that those two litters alone have saved at least 10 cats from being rehomed or turned in to shelters just in my own experience.  (Everyone sends their friends to me for advice, I'm the local "old cat lady," an I'm glad.)  Make those suggestions to the shelter folks.  Also, another approach if the cat is afraid of a litter box is to make it flat.  That was a Jackson Galaxy trick on one of his shows:  A plastic sheet of some sort on the floor with the soft litter on top and four 2 x 4 boards surrounding it.  Since it no longer looked like a litter box, the cat checked it out.  Since it didn't hurt his paws, the cat used it.  Slowly but surely they made it smaller and by the end of it all, the cat was using a normal litter box.

kkoerner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@KKoerner
, I have had a lot of luck with two types of litter for declawed cats with litter box aversion.  One is sWheatScoop which is made of wheat and almost as soft as flour, and the other is Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract Litter, which is a clay litter but very fine.  You can also buy the Cat Attract herbs separately and sprinkle them into the sWheatScoop.  I would say that those two litters alone have saved at least 10 cats from being rehomed or turned in to shelters just in my own experience.  (Everyone sends their friends to me for advice, I'm the local "old cat lady," an I'm glad.)  Make those suggestions to the shelter folks.  Also, another approach if the cat is afraid of a litter box is to make it flat.  That was a Jackson Galaxy trick on one of his shows:  A plastic sheet of some sort on the floor with the soft litter on top and four 2 x 4 boards surrounding it.  Since it no longer looked like a litter box, the cat checked it out.  Since it didn't hurt his paws, the cat used it.  Slowly but surely they made it smaller and by the end of it all, the cat was using a normal litter box.
Thing is, she uses it at the shelter, but has just refused in both homes she has been in? But, I will for sure add it to her profile for her next (hopefully last) family!! Thanks! :)

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@a5b6c9  If I may.. 

First of all, I didn't see anyone attack you verbally. I am not trying to make you look crazy or anything. But, I've talked for so long with many of the people who advised you not to declaw your little one, that I am in position of assuring you that they weren't aggressive towards you. They were just in "panic" in the thought of declawing. 

You were asking for some kind of official research on declawing and its consequences.. A member who actually went through with it, told you about it and tried to prevent you from it. There's your official research. Right from the source. You don't need to read a research that's written from one side or the other side and doubt its conclusion.

It's legal in the States? Well I heard somewhere that it is also legal for a policeman to bite a dog, if the dog can get calmer with it.. 
 Somewhere in the United States. Not sure which state.. So... 

It doesn't matter if it's legal. It doesn't constitute it as moral. Here in Greece, vets practice amputation on pit bulls ears, to make them seem "vicious"... Yeah, they do that while they're still young, so they won't miss their ears.. It's still amputation.

Pulling out a healthy tooth out of a human's mouth, is also amputation.

So what I'm saying is, don't declaw your little one. Bond with him, make him trust you.. Walk that extra mile that is needed. If you do something like that to him, I don't think he'll ever trust you again.. And he might come after you with his teeth, at some point. Because... his teeth will remain on him! So he'll turn to them so to defend himself if felt threatened by accident.. What are you going to do then? Pull out his teeth? I'm not saying that it is your purpose but it is the logic that all those people - who are trying to persuade you to declaw him - use on perceiving that declawing is a good thing! 

Another thing you should consider is this: what if something happens and you lose him? Escapes your house and he's nowhere to be found? He'll be out there, alone, minus his claws to help him defend himself from other hostile cats. He won't stand a chance. I really want you to sit back and visualize this.. You have to put his interest above yours on this, cause it's you who chose to adopt him. He didn't come to you. You went to him. And he needs to be able-bodied, just like every other living creature.

That's all I have to say. I hope you make the right choice.

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my God... 
 Can you imagine the agony and the pain this poor soul had to go through? I can't .. 

Sorry if I just repeated what you said @CatMinionJess.. I wasn't able  to read every post before I commented, so I didn't have the chance to read yours. I just wrote what 1st came to my mind as I read the 1st few posts.. 

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Oh my God... 
 Can you imagine the agony and the pain this poor soul had to go through? I can't .. 

Sorry if I just repeated what you said @CatMinionJess.. I wasn't able to read every post before I commented, so I didn't have the chance to read yours. I just wrote what 1st came to my mind as I read the 1st few posts.. 
No, I'm sorry, I didn't mean you were copying me. I was just agreeing with your comments and reiterating what I'd said before. We have the same thoughts on this subject! I hope the OP returns and gives an update on their decision. I kinda don't think they are coming back though.

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, don't worry, I know what you meant 
 no apology needed! Why do you think they're not coming back? 

Even if they thought that they were being "verbally attacked", the mods could take care of it. But I didn't see anything.. At least not in the posts I read.. 

It's a shame though.. There is all sorts of input, information, suggestions, ideas etc that they could use, instead of paying some smarta** vet to declaw the poor kitty.. if they could just spend some time with their cat, it would really reward them so much more, down the road.. Not to mention, it's not as costly! 

One member mentioned about the vaccines and how often should they be done.. And I totally agree on what they wrote (sorry I can't recall who it was). Vets sometimes make us believe that some actions are "extremely necessary" while they're not.. They just want to keep the cash coming.. After I had Grizzly vaccinated, a vet told me that the vaccines are not necessary to be done yearly.. Especially when a cat is 100% indoor, which in my case, Grizzly is 100% indoor. 

So, in OP's case, the vet made it seem like "it had to be done".. Who's to quarantee that the vet didn't just suggest that, so they could take advantage of their client? 

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know, they haven't responded in at least 2 days and it's just the sense that I got from their posts, "I'm going to go to Penn Vet and talk to the students doing research there because at least they will have some actual facts and maturity. My mistake for looking to an internet forum for help."

I also got the sense that they were looking for confirmation, that no there are no health risk associated with de-clawing and you should absolutely go ahead and do it. I could be completely misunderstanding their intent though. It's the internet after all and tone isn't always easy to read.

Last edited:

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree.. Written speech tends to get misinterpreted a lot. No matter what a bunch of students might say, the member who actually did it and saw the concequences and actually regreted it, beats any research, article, study etc.. You don't know until you've done it, and unfortunately it is something that there's no turning back from. 

It is possible that no health issues may be manifested on the kitty, due to declawing.. But what about the behavioural issues that are more possible to be generated? You can't ignore them, in any way..

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Even though the OP hasn't come back or responded recently there is always the chance that another person who might be considering getting their cat declawed may stumble across this thread and read what is posted here.

First of all I'd like to say that no one seems to be attacking the OP in their posts. People have of course reacted with shock and horror at the thought of declawing a kitten. That is understandable. We're all cat lovers here. If anyone were to go onto a parenting site and say;

"My child has been stealing things. I'm thinking of getting his fingers cut off to stop him doing this. Is there any proof that this is bad for my child?"

people would react in a similar fashion.

@a5b6c9  You came here to ask people what they thought about declawing. You've had answers from people who declawed their cats before they knew any better and regretted it. You've had answers from people who work in shelters or do rescue and see first hand the effects that declawing has on a cat, effects so bad that these cats are often returned to shelters again and again.

You've had responses from those who have managed to get round the problems of their pets scratching people or damaging furniture by more humane means than declawing. You've had suggestions of things you could try that might help your kitten keep his claws under control.

So far not one person has had anything positive to say about declawing.

I'm sure you will be able to find a vet who will tell you there is nothing wrong with doing this to a cat. As others have pointed out, vets make money by doing procedures on animals that are neither necessary or in the animal's best interests. Sadly, not all vets are animal lovers, a great many of them are more concerned with their profits.

From the research I have done even those who condone declawing don't go as far as to say the cat will be better of without his claws. The main consensus seems to be that the cat will eventually recover and that problems such as scratching the furniture are resolved. That's a positive as it gets.

Surely the fact that declawing is banned in so many countries and so many people who work with cats are campaigning to get the practice banned in the US speaks for itself?

Last edited:

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe that the OP, as they said, is new to kitten ownership and that, while it is a wonderful thing to do, generates some issues.. 

If their first interaction is with people from their environment that are more kean to adopt "easy" solutions, they'll trust them more than a bunch of cat lovers on the internet.. Which is totally understandable. On the other hand, "if the vet says so, it must be right".. There's that notion as well..

It's just that they need to flip the coin on to its other side, in order to see it. If they can visualize themselves living a life with a cat that will always have problems and that will feel like "something was taken away from him", then so be it. If they trust themselves enough that the cat will never ever escape their residence and be left out alone and defenceless from other cats (that will have maintained their claws), then fine.. And if they have persuaded themselves that after declawing him, he won't generate any further issues, OK... I don't know how they'll react when he will start manifesting other behavioural problems.. Problems that might not have to do with declawing.. Let's not forget he is still very young and hasn't unraveled his personality in full. What will be the next step?

If we tend to unroot the "means" of a bad behaviour and not the "cause" of it, we just get nowhere.. 

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

He cried and cried and cried like he was in extreme pain and scratched and bit us. My housemate no longer feels comfortable helping me put them on because he feels like he's hurting him. 
So, you guys gave up on putting claw caps on him because he complains (like any cat would) and because you are concerned he is in pain... and yet you want to cause him extreme pain by performing an unnecessary surgery.

my vet once clipped my cats claws, you can pay them to do it for you, just pay the fee and take the cat 1-2 a month. some vets go directly to your house, or have one of those traveling pet washers go by your house. call to see if they clip cat claws.

make sure the cat has a cat tree, if they dont have some place to play and file their nails, they will use your furniture. put a cat scratcher right next to the furniture, when he tries to scratch the furniture say NO loudly, while grabbing him and taking him to the scratcher. do not hit the cat as this will just cause him to fear you. my vet once told me its okay to softly tap the nose of a cat when they misbehave, as this is what their mother cat would do. 

also, make sure you play with your cat, 20 mins at least every day to tire him out.

im just trying to say, there are so many things to try before making such a huge decision. if all else fails, it would be preferable to rehome him before declawing him. just dont take him to a shelter, most cats dont make it out of there. i dont like giving pets away, but its better than declawing.

note: sorry if my post sounded rude, i just felt so bad for this kitty. =( i hate the thought of a cat being in pain.

NOTE: sorry didnt notice the date! oops! this thread is two month old. Sorry about that. 

Last edited:

wildog47

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you would declaw your cat. Because you can't handle dealing with something that is part of a cat. Then you don't love your cat. Why do something that even has a chance of giving lifelong pain if you don't have to. Let me tell you something. My cat scratches me ALL the time. She draws blood and screams like I'm murdering her if I clip her nails. She doesn't mind me touching her paws but cutting them leads to her screaming. Know what I do? I wrap her up like a burrito and do it anyway. And give her treats after. After 8 months and tons of screaming and scratches. She has learned that clipping nails equal treats. I would never even CONSIDER declawing her. Cutting off a cats first digit is NEVER OK. When you get a cat you should know it comes with claws. And responsibility of you to teach it when to use them. That's like saying my babyis 3 months and pulls out my hair so I'm gonna amputate his fingers so he doesn't. Teach the kitten, don't sign it up for cruelty. People who say, well it doesn't hurt the cat, there's no evidence so its. Okay, and if I didn't declaw them they would be homeless. Lets just say. I'd rather be homeless than have my fingers chopped off. Why do something that can be solved in other ways through training then just taking the selfish easy way out. I went through pain through my cat. And people telling me to put her down causs shes aggressive or get her declawed. And itell them no cUse she only.scratches as a result of discomfort from what a human does. If your roomates get scratched when the cat is on the lap tell them to simply NOT HOLD IT.also. take the time to teach your cat not to climb peoples legs.