My Kittens Are Lost Outside At Sub Zero Temps

BabbyPig

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is my first post here so please bear with:) The cats went outside yesterday at around 6:30 pm to play in the snow: we were fine with this but they haven’t come back in almost twelve hours. We fear that the cats froze or someone took them. It is the most unusual thing, as one usually comes before the other but this time we saw no sight of them after we let them out. I’ve been worried sick about them and because of the time I’m posting this not much can be done. Please give me advice on how to find my kittens!:(

LynxNZeldasMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh no ! Did you go ask neighbors? Or did they come back yet?? I’d put up signs and keep looking around. Or someone might have taken them inside from the cold since they’re kittens right? I’d really go out and find out

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
How old are the kittens?

Is it snowing now?

If it starts to snow cats will take shelter under a shed or porch or in a wood pile and may get snowed in. Take a shovel and a torch and dig around any places they might have crawled under.

Even cats with regular outdoor access get disorientated in the snow. The snow covers up the scent tracks they find their way by so they don't know where they are.

Put their litter box outside. Scatter some of the used litter around the perimeter of your yard so they can smell their way back.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had cats disappear several times during a blizzard, one time when we ended up with twenty inches one little female didn't show up for three days. They hole up somewhere. The problem is, can they get out? Walk around your neighborhood, calling and listen for any meows. They could have got locked up in someone's shed or garage. One good thing is that they have each other for warmth. I will pray for their safe return, please keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BabbyPig

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The kittens are spayed and neutered, they’re 8 months old and it was snowing when we were trying to find them. We’ve called around the neighbourhood at least 5 times and we asked the neighbours to look in their sheds and they haven’t found anything. We’ve placed food and their litter and done everything else we can think of. There’s no places that they can get stuck in.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
They won't have gone far. I've had cats get lost in the snow before. They'll just find somewhere to shelter and hunker down until they can get home again.

How deep is the snow?

What time of day is it where you are?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BabbyPig

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It’s 1 o’clock (PM) and the snow is about 10-15cm. Neighbours have said that they would keep an eye out. We’re waiting for a neighbour to return from hospital so we can find out which garagages belong to people

Wenda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hooray!! I'm glad your kittens made it back safely!!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OH THANK GOODNESS! I was worried, but...cats are remarkably good at finding shelter and warm spots, even those accustomed to being indoors. They are survivors of the highest degree. THAT SAID, I'm more than happy these two are in and safe!