My kittens agression is getting out of hand

nastassia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys

My kitten is 6 months old. She's always been a biter and scratcher but she was so small that it was hardly painful and adorable. Now that she's bigger, it hurts! I've tried saying "ouch" and stop playtime so that she knows I'm serious but when I pull away when she really hurts me, she seems to get more mad and do it over and over again, harder! It's any part of my body that she can get a hold of and has gotten to a point that she draws blood. My hands and legs are scarred from her vicious attacks and I'm afraid she's getting worse. Eg. I usually sleep with my head under the blanket in the early parts of the morning as that is her usual time to try to scratch my face, the other day she got so agitated that she couldn't get to me that she sprang onto my face so hard that she bust my nose. I don't think she knows she's hurting me. Other than when she's being violent, she's a pleasant kitten. But always wants to be alone...she's quite spoilt and played with very often but only on "her terms". Please help...I don't want her to grow up thinking it's okay to be so rough...

detroitcatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It could just be play aggression. Some kittens who don't learn not to bite/scratch humans when they are younger will become more aggressive as they get older and bigger. Have you tried redirecting her aggression towards a toy? If the aggression is mostly during playtime you can try to play with her with a toy like da bird or another wand type toy that allows her to attack the toy and keep some distance between her and you so she might not scratch and bite you as much. Kittens who are by themselves and don't have a kitten playmate seem to have more trouble learning not to bite and scratch humans and don't realize when they play too rough that it hurts. If she is your only kitten you will have to teach her and it will take some time and patience but she should eventually learn. A friend of mine actually wore mittens while playing with a kitten who liked to bite and attack hands so that it wouldn't hurt so much.

cat-atonic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Very important to play with lasers or toys. Make sure you don't play with you hands as that could confuse them. You may just want to pet them but they think you're playing.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds to me like you encouraged her to play this way when she was younger and now it's an issue. You can still correct it! You'll need to completely ignore her whenever she scratches or bites if it comes out of nowhere. Just walk away. If she is trying to play, put a toy in front of her to teach her what's appropriate. Carry a toy with you always. Wand toys and lasers are also good for helping to get her energy out.

Is she spayed? Would you consider getting another kitten?