My Kitten Won't Use The Litterbox

Tonyanewell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 6 week old kitten that will not use the box.using kitten attack litter. Everytime i put him in it he will jump out i have 4 other cats.all have seperate boxes. Why wont my kitten use the box.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
How often do you clean the litterbox? Have you tried different styles of litterbox (covered vs. uncovered)?

How long have you had him? If you just brought him home, he might be stressed by his new environment. Typically, cats do best if they’re introduced to one room at a time. A Feliway diffuser can also help to reduce some anxiety.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Six weeks old is really too young to be taken from his mom. Is his mom with you, by chance? Have you had the vet look at him? He may have a kidney infection or some other kind of urinary tract problem. I think you should definitely take him to the vet and let the vet know he isn't using his box.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, you should be using non clumping litter only until he is 12 weeks old.
Second, don't expect him just to 'know how' to use the box. After you feed him, put him in the box. Take his front paws and 'dig' the litter. Show him that this is where he needs to go. If he poops outside the box, put it into the box, then put him in the box. Let him sniff it. He will get the idea after a few times of this.